Come Visit My Itty Bitty New Web Site

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Since so many magazines have been going down the tube and there are far fewer opportunities to maintain my status as a famous author of useful technical articles and thoughtful reviews, I decided to do what everyone else does and post some of my writings on a web site. I doubt that it will make me famous, but at least it's a place I can point people to when I've already written 3,000 words to answer what they think is a simple question.

I've been going through my articles and updating them a bit where necessary, but at this point mostly they deal with fundamentals that don't change very much. They'll be added as I get around to it. Reviews aren't of the latest stuff (because I haven't had the assignments) but reviews of older gear can be useful, too, since you might be shopping the "obsolete" market for a bargain, and it might be something I've reviewed. I like to try to teach the reader something about principles in my reviews, so you might find them a little educational even if you're not interested in the product.

I've also posted all of the NAMM and AES show reports that I've been able to find around here. I think the earliest ones go back to 1998 or so. See what used to be. If anyone here managed to capture any of the show reports from the early 90s that I used to post on the MIDILink network on a daily basis (blogging before there were bloggers) and can contribute them, I'd sure appreciate that. Otherwise, that history is . . . history.

No sponsors or banner ads yet, and unless I can figure out a way to do that unobtrusively, there probably won't be. But what I'm hoping is that the site will help to keep my name out there as someone who, most of the time, knows what he's talking about, and perhaps I'll be able to get my hands on some current gear to add to the review library.

Anyway, drop in, look around, and grab what you think might be useful. Everything is a PDF. You can read it on line or download it, take your laptop to the can, and enjoy them there.

HITS! I NEED HITS!!! MAKE ME FAMOUS.

• CMS Author

Jim Bailey and Bob Tudor hurling insults at each other from across the aisle, yes.
:D

I remember a "review" Jim posted where he said the Mackie HDR24/95 wouldn't record for more than fifteen minutes (it was designed to close the file every fifteen minutes so that's the most you'd lose in event of a disaster). At Mackie, there was an MX-2424 with "Hoover" pasted over the TASCAM name because the sound of the fan was reminiscent of a vacuum cleaner.

Bob's at PreSonus now (or at least was last I saw him). I just read that Jim has a new gig with Aphex. If you're still doing some work for them, I guess the circle has come 'round again.

• CMS Author

No pix, no vids? Forget it.

During most of the period when I was writing for Recording (which is where most of the articles are from), I didn't have a camera, and I never found a program that I could understand which would let me draw a block or schematic diagram. I'd make a hand sketch on paper and send that to them for their graphics department to make pretty. They usually didn't make any mistakes. A few of the articles on the site have illustrations that I scanned from the magazine version.

I think it'll be years before I get the hang of video technology well enough to make videos. But I suppose that if Craig and Jon can do it, so can I. I just don't care that much about the medium. I had the Zoom Q3 video camera here for a review but decided not to keep it because (see the review) I couldn't figure out how I could make videos of me with it, either as a talking head (can't see the monitor) or pointing it at something and talking about it (mic is on the wrong side to do that). I don't care enough about doing videos to invest a few hundred bucks in a camera that will do what I want. And then I'd have to learn how to edit. Then I'd have to learn HOW to edit. Nope, I think I'll leave the videos to Craig. ;)

Have you considered writing a book? Seems that when writes a book they suddenly become the go to person for something whether or not its true.

You didn't read the introduction? The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder Manual. And, yes, sometimes sadly, I've become the go-to person for the Mackie recorders, even the MDR24/96, which I never owned.

Archived