OT:Help! i've buggered my Monitor

Adey

• Members

Sorry about this off topic thread, i thought it would be the best place me to ask

because you guys are smart with computers.

Basically we bought a HD TV the other day, and it has a VGA input on it so we connected it up, and the computer let me choose 1920x1080 sweeeet!

I've now connected it back to my 19 inch widescreen moniter (1440X900 native)

its all messed up:confused:

If i choose 1440x900 everything is squished together so there are black spaces on each side of the screen, and O's look oval. Its like the monitor doesnt know what native resolution its supposed to be:mad: The monitor is also showing up as a Generic, non-PnP monitor.

Ive tried, system restore, uninstalling video and monitor drivers, and finally tried a complete windows install, all to no avail, im currently running at 1280x720. The picture fits on the screen but it is still slightly squished, cirles look like zeros.

Any ideas? Surely i couldnt of messed up my monitor like that?

:confused:

• Members

Go to the monitor manufactures website, and download the latest driver. Then install it and make a note exactly where it gets installed. You may need to find it updating the driver.

Next right click on My computer, properties, Hardware manager. You should have a list there. Expand monitors. See if only your new driver is listed. if you have multiple monitores, deinstall any extras. You can delete them all and reboot and see if it find the new driver or - Leave one there and right click, select properties, then select driver, update. Select from a list, next, then find where you installed the driver and have the computer use it. Windows often doesnt like to use unauthenticated drivers and wont want to use something unlicenced so you have to force it.

Theres also usually a list of manufacturers monitors you can select from during the same process. If the driver was properly installed, it should be added to the list, otherwise selecting a drive and file is needed. Sometimes the installed driver is no more than an *Inf file. those can usually be found in C/Win/System/drivers or Sys32 folder some place. I cant say exactly were, I usually have to dig till I find it.

Archived