Craig - will there be a Sonar X1 Pro Review?? (please!!)

nat whilk II

• Members

Just got an announcement email from Cakewalk and watched the video.

Looks verrrrrry interesting....

nat whilk ii

I've got to believe Craig knew this was coming.

It looks nice, but I can't believe they did very little with the staff view.

Cakewalk as indicated that they "still hope to enhance the Staff View more substantially in the future..." - hope? That doesn't sound like it will be anytime soon.

And all I was looking for was better handling of tuplets and embedded rests...

• Members

It looks nice, but I can't believe they did very little with the staff view.

I still don't see why someone doesn't do a ReWire notation program for programs that can act as ReWire slaves...you spit the tracks into ReNote, and voila - instant notation!

I'd guess that Cakewalk isn't doing more with notation because there are kinda two ways to do notation: Quickie lead sheet notation, and engraving quality notation. Don't see much space for anything in between, and I doubt Cakewalk wants to devote the resources needed to do engraving quality software.

• Members

I still don't see why someone doesn't do a ReWire notation program for programs that can act as ReWire slaves...you spit the tracks into ReNote, and voila - instant notation!

I'd guess that Cakewalk isn't doing more with notation because there are kinda two ways to do notation: Quickie lead sheet notation, and engraving quality notation. Don't see much space for anything in between, and I doubt Cakewalk wants to devote the resources needed to do engraving quality software.

Don't get me wrong - I was only looking for a fix for a problem which has existed for years. The staff view functionality has remained unchanged since Cakewalk Pro 2.0 for Windows.

"And all I was looking for was better handling of tuplets and embedded rests..."

I'm not interested in printing lead sheets or engraving quality notation - I just want to be able to edit or create triplets properly.

I don't blame Cakewalk for not wanting to devote resources to embed best of class notation functionality into Sonar.

I'm just looking for something on par with notation editing of MIDI data as in Logic, Cubase, and Pro Tools.

• Members

I really have to disagree. No one wants or expects engraver quality notation from a DAW. I have Sibelius and Notion but I still need to compose within a DAW.. Sonar's staff view makes that a complete nightmare. If there were no "space for anything in between" why does every other major DAW have usable notation? If you compose with notation Re-wire and XML don't cut it - horrible work flow and unreliable. Sonar is literally 10 years behind all the other major DAWs in notation. It's a vital compositional tool. Whether you ever print a lead sheet or not the lack of and handling of tuplets and enharmonics alone make it abysmal. IMO that and video handling are the only areas where Sonar is vastly inferior.

(I don't include Reaper yet as a major DAW.)

Archived