BEST SONG EVER

John Sayers

• Members

I didn't know Guy Clark was Aussie.

:D

I was just listening to his "Funny Bone" which I don't think I'd ever heard before. He's some kinda writer. I really like Guy Clark. I mean, his songs and melodies don't fall far from the tree -- but what a great tree.

• Members

maybe if you don't sing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/kaki_king_rocks_out_to_pink_noise.html

As a guitarist, my approach to the appreciation of advanced technique players is to close my eyes and listen. If the music doesn't light me up on its own, all the flash and inversion of expectation (the latter of which is pretty well expended at this point) isn't going to move me, although I can still marvel at the dexterity.

When King moves to conventional technique as she does after the intro workout (as far as I watched), she appears to lapse into a rather limited, rhythm guitar sort of approach that quickly becomes uninvolving.

That's not to say that those who find her music enjoyable aren't engaged in a perfectly reasonable aesthetic appreciation. But when I read official sidebar ink like "amazing virtuosity" I guess I was expecting something more sophisticated. But, of course, not every piece can or should be a showpiece of virtuosity for its own sake -- that's for sure. (As my first paragraph comment probably indicates. And, hey, she's certainly more impressive than I am, that's for sure! :D )

Unlike some of those posting in the comments section on the TED page, I thought her little preamble about the implications of infinity and infinitesimality [sorry about that coinage, didn't get much sleep last night and don't want to waste the next 10 minutes searching for the proper word :D ] were actually kind of charming and showed a self-deprecating humor I wish more of those annointed by others as "Guitar Gods" would show.

She seems like a charming person.

I saw the Bobby McFerrin piece earlier. He's a funny guy. Not sure I'd want to take a cross-country roadtrip with him -- he seems well beyond irrepressible :D -- but he's quite the showman and, for sure, music really just jumps out of the guy in every direction. I saw him in a pops concert with the LA Symphony one summer at the Hollywood Bowl long ago and he was loads of fun.

• Members

The lyrics are more like a poem than a song...the vocal delivery was relaxed, perfectually presented, yet casual... and so damned believeable.

This song rings true, with honesty, integrity, and veracity.

The guitar Chemistry between these two guys speaks volumes...

The guitar chord progression puts one in mind of Mark Knopflers ''Sultans of Swing'... not a bad thing....

John, your OP title of 'Best Song Ever' falls waaay short of the mark, It is indeed a wondrous and conceptual song, that 'Folkies' both young and old should embrace.

Thanks for sharing....

:thu:

Now, I'm back to listening to the new album and live performance by the 'Weepies' on NPR... followed by revisiting 'Sting' singing various and sundry solo performances of 'Roxanne' and 'Message in a Bottle' from my video collection...Stings guitar work. played on an an older Black 'Strat' must have been an inspiration to Jon Mayer, Dave Matthews, et.al.

• Members

John, your OP title of 'Best Song Ever' falls waaay short of the mark

yeah - I know - it was a spoof on Nads Worst song thread. I do love the way the lyric scans in the song/poem whatever you want to call it. It's very smooth and the twist at the end is brilliant.

I thought the Booby McFerrin sketch was unique, especially in the audience interaction and I do agree with Blue on the King vid.

youtube is such an amazing resource - you keep finding new and wonderful things on it everyday from other people's posts.

[YOUTUBE]ADNesm6F27U[/YOUTUBE]

and close you eyes on this one Blue :)

[YOUTUBE]43j9pOYKzHY[/YOUTUBE]

Archived