Pro audio question for Craig please

michaelhigh

• Members

Hello, Craig, I am Michael Hy Yaffe, and I have a question concerning the pairing of separate LF and HF components with a particular crossover in a PA system. It will also be used as a home-stereo rig (with balls), and I would like to know your opinion, as I very much respect your expertise in this area. Firstly, I will run down the individual components. I have 4 JBL E-140's in Bag End II cabinets (see avatar) and JBL 2345 lenses. I am looking to purchase Selenium 220 TI compression drivers, mainly because they're comparatively inexpensive (cheap). I will be attempting to use a DOD 623 crossover between the two. I've been consulting with some people who use pro audio components in home stereo applications and one person in particular recommends a crossover design he has adapted from an Altec 19 design, and his reasoning is that it offers HF compensation that precludes the need for a tweeter in my case, with the horn/lens combo. Am I a victim of misinformation? Can I mate the E-140's with the Seleniums via the DOD 623 and not miss the compensation he mentions? Does the DOD offer the HF comp he describes being necessary or is he simply touting his own product? I look to you as a valuable resource, and anxiously await your response. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your speedy reply, your time and advice. :thu:

• Members

If you asked the question of the full forum rather than just Craig you'd get a quicker answer that could be of use to you. There are plenty of experience audio folk here.

...and more experienced than me in many ways! I kind of lose interest at the amp's output jack, so hopefully someone here will know the answer.

• Moderators

I copied your post to the Live Sound forum. You can follow the thread OVER THERE.

Once upon a time I used SR gear for a home stereo myself. I'll just say that you may like the sound of using live gear for a home stereo, or you may not. It will be different from that of a home stereo in terms of dispersion and EQ. You'll also have to crank it up quite a bit before it sounds remotely right, meaning that you're unlikely to enjoy the sound of it at low volumes.

Sounds like you're planning a biamped system, and for sure you'll need to use the level controls on the crossover to match up your tweeters and woofers even remotely close. You'll also need a 2/3 octave or 1/3 octave stereo EQ as those cabs and speaks have a lot more upper bass punch than low bass.

You don't mention what power amp you intend to use, I hope you're planning on using a separate power amp and not a standard stereo receiver. If your amp doesn't have a lot of headroom, then the whole idea is pointless. You'll use some of the headroom when you adjust the main EQ to get it roughly flat.

Spend just a few more bucks and get a better crossover, even a dBx crossover is cleaner and tighter than a DOD and isn't much more expensive.

Good luck!

Terry D.

• Members

I am not a fan of 15"s to horns unless they're like a hundred feet away from me. In my live mains setup I used JBL 200 watt 8"s as mids because I like to cross horns at 2K and any large driver (18"s, 15"s, even 12"s) beam like crazy on axis above around 800 Hz. The system you're talking about might work fine in a large deep club if you fly it but it would be just plain silly in a home setting IMO.

Archived