Performing Rights Organizations

echoshock

• Members

They can enroll separately as individuals. However, they can't receive royalties for the same song from both PROs to the best of my knowledge.

Both ASCAP and BMI have lengthy FAQs about this kind of stuff. You should definitely find out from them directly. Anything we say here is likely to be conjecture.

• Members

Thanks Jeff. I'm trying to find some info on both of their sites.

I tried to cancel my membership so I can join the same Org as my bandmate and found out my membership just renewed last month for 2 years. Great timing. I've never had royalties before so I didn't keep up with my membership status until now.

• Members

I tried to cancel my membership so I can join the same Org as my bandmate and found out my membership just renewed last month for 2 years. Great timing.

That tells me you're with BMI. :)

On the bright side, I guarantee you're not the only songwriter who's ever been in this situation. Have you considered calling and explaining what's going on? Most people I know who are PRO members say that they do try and work with you (not against you) in these kind of situations. I don't have personal experience with this, so I wish you luck. I'm sure it'll work out.

Archived