i like to now talk about Osmonds and many amplifier

Bookumdano2

• Members

Check this out at about 2:17 behind Merrill and Donny baby. What-the-hell-is-that? I ain't never seen no Kustom Naugahyde head contraption like that.

It looks like an extra-wide, Osmond-size amp head with 93 knobs on it. And there are two of them stacked on top of each other!!! What the hell is that?

Stretches clear across two of those squishy naugahyde chrome ported cabinets that I used to drool over until I played through them.

Looks like it would take all 27 Osmonds to move them too. Is that the secret key to their sound?????

By the way, their drummer brother is actually pretty good on that clip.

• Members

Gotta give it to the brothers on this one. They actually rocked that song pretty hard.

That is a pretty amazing amp head. I've never seen anything quite like it. I wonder if it's a PA head and they were running vocals from the stage????

One of my favorite lines about those Kustom amps came from a sales dude at Ron & Rob's Rock City in Royal Oak, MI, back in the day. I remember him telling me, "Man these are great amps! If you ever get tired of playing your guitar through one you can roll it into your living room and use it as a couch." :D

• Members

Yeah... I don't think I've seen the Osmonds since they replaced the Jacksons on the Andy Williams Show. (Or is that all mushed up in my head? When watching that show that show [and the Kraft summer thing with John Davidson that would replace it 3 months a year] I would usually leave the room for the family acts. If only mentally.)

Anyhow, video quality and all, is Marie in the front line? Is that her with the football player shoulder pads? A unisex family band. That's pretty outside for a nice Mormon family, innit?

I couldn't even spot the amp in question -- but I had to turn the thing off in the middle, anyhow. As someone in the comments section said something to the effect of, they were having just too much damn fun.

PS... boy they sure hid the real backline in the shadows, huh?

• Members

Well, really, anything covered in tuck and roll rocks.

Tuck and roll was the greatest advance of the 50s.

I was always broken hearted that I couldn't get my folks to buy a tuck and roll couch for the den. You know, with alternating colors like a '54 Merc interior.

• Moderators

Well, really,
anything
covered in tuck and roll rocks.

I was always broken hearted that I couldn't get my folks to buy a tuck and roll couch for the den. You know, with alternating colors like a '54 Merc interior.

There's a punk alt rock dive in San Diego called the Casbah. The stage walls are tuck and roll just like a Kustom. I mean... that rocks.

• Members

Well, really,
anything
covered in tuck and roll rocks.

ah, my older brothers '54 Merc Marauder had I think, Back 'n/Silver pleat, can't be sure cuz I have always been color blind...kept me out of the Army but for some reason the US Navy had no problem 'Boarding' my skinny Rock Band ass in a New York Minute.:cry:

My bro's Merc was chopped and channeled, painted Metallic Black....when he drove us to Little League, the interior always smelled of Camel ciggies and Old Spice aftershave.

• Members

This sorta looks like the thing in the video-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-KUSTOM-600-PA-power-amplifier-Tuck-N-Roll-head-/360296270374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e354ca26

Looks like it could eat your children and destroy the world.

By the way, I think a roadie forgot to plug in Donny's keyboard. He's slapping his hands all over that thing .. even with one of those Jerry Lee Lewis slides there at about 1:06 and ... no sound. Or maybe the sound guy forgot to turn up his channel in the Pa. Or maybe we just can't hear the great keyboard chops... yeah, that's what it is.

I do like the feel of the video though and for the most part, it's cool the guys really played sometimes.

• Members

It's a Kustom amp, circa 1970. I used to have one. Though mine was a 4-channel PA, I used it for a bass amp in a country band I was in during the late '70s, called 'The Good Ol' Boys' (this was before the Blues Brothers movies came out, which had a band with the same name). The amp had quite a bit of power, and worked really well. Plus the upholstery made it hurt less if you dropped on your foot....

I do feel a little guilty about those poor innocent little Naugas that had to give their lives so my amp could be covered in Naughahyde, though...

Archived