Henryk Gorecki, R.I.P.

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Henryk Gorecki, R.I.P.

Composer of "Symphony #3", one of my favorite classical compositions ever.

I watched him conduct "Symphony #3" with the USC orchestra and give a Q&A in LA before. Fantastic composer.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postmortem/2010/11/henryk-gorecki-composer-of-sor.html

[YOUTUBE]ymuF7uG6wis[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you very much for your beautiful and haunting compositions.

• Members

Yeah, one of the great classical composers. "Symphony #3" was so popular, it appeared on England's Top 40 albums sold. Not Top 40 Classical, but Top 40. It's rare that classical music can make such an impact on the popular music buyer, as classical music typically has made up approximately 1% of CD sales...but that was a phenomenon. And little wonder...it's a stirring, extremely emotional music that touched a lot of people deeply.

• Members

I was so bummed to read about this today. Its pretty amazing, his symphony #3 (Dawn Upshaw version) sold over a million copies, but its no wonder. I could not imagine anyone not being moved by that. He also did great challenging works. One of the greats of my lifetime for sure.

• Members

His great challenging works, I really like as well, Ronan. And "Symphony #3" is one of the most emotional, heart-wrenching works of art I've ever heard, simple harmonically but so straight to the heart of the matter. Pure genius. Gorecki is truly one of the greats in this lifetime for sure.

Archived