day on a single SOUND? then cut it out of the mix?

techristian

• Members

Did you ever work an entire day on a single SOUND, which just sounded soooo cool by itself that it inspired you to write a new song? However, after the song is recorded, you decide that another sound would sound better IN CONTEXT of that music. So you throw out the original "cool" sound. That sound inspired a new song anyway

Dan

• Members

Sure, I've done stuff like that, no question. Sometimes that's just where the muses -- and/or your own compulsions -- lead you. Sometimes the muses have to intervene and say, Yeah, cowboy, you did spend all day on that sound -- and you probably learned a lot -- but the track is better without it, isn't it?

• Members

Sure, I've done it. Music is, in my view, all about context. If it doesn't fit, you must forget.

One thing in this regard is guitars. I love the full-bodied thundering sound of a Les Paul with humbuckers, but a lot of songs will get overwhelmed by it... it's too much for the mix and steps on other sounds' toes. I'll often use a thinner guitar that may not sound ultra-awesome on its own, but works well in the context of the song and the mix.

Never be afraid to throw stuff away, in any case.

• Members

Definitly. Too many mixes are messed up cuz someone is so attached to this super cool sound and can't bear to part with it even though it doesn't serve the tune in the context of things. Some great author once said sometime the most important thing you need to be able to do as an author is to kill your children. Meaning he could have this one character that was his favorite character that he really loved but had to face up to the fact that it didn't serve the story and the book on the whole was better without which is very hard to do. But alas might show up in another book or song years later. Ronan Chris Murphy once told me, if every single track in your mix sounds amazing, your mix will proabably sound like crap. It's all about it working together. A thin guitar, midrangy bass, and huge kick will fit way better than an amazing full guitar and a full bass and huge kick. That will sound like mush. Less is more. I've found the hardest thing in a mix is Not trying to make things fuller, but making all the stuff be smaller to they fit together. Kick, bass, and a single strat can sound amazing and huge, and 94 tracks can sound small and mushy. Less, less ,less. Listen to most of the chili peppers. You hear every instrument clear and none are fighting eachoter cuz not tuns of layered guitars, samples or all that other crap. Anyway, yea, that is par for the course and the when you stop bein married to any idea or sound and ruthlessly cut out whatever doesn't add more than it takes away, and take things where they need to go to serve the song you will become a better mixer for it. Before mixing I start to mute trax and if I'm not sure whether or not a track is critical to the tune, it's gone. Listen to Dark Side or Sgt. Pepper wheter the tune is sparse or dense there is nothing there that doesn't have a purpose to serve the song.

• Members

I've worked really really hard on something just to jettison it from the mix, that's for sure. Not all day...well, who knows, maybe if I added up the time I worked on one particular thing, it might add up to 8 hours, who knows.

I've worked really hard on songs, just to realize the song wasn't happening and abandoning it altogether.

• Members

Well if you find you need to "work real hard" to get something to work, as opposed to it just coming together thats a sign right there you may be barking up the wrong tree in the first place. When it's right its right, and don't fight to try to force something work that just ain't workin naturally, cuz you'll just waste time and be frustrated with nothting to show for it. Just like in a relationship. hehe.

• Members

More or less. I sometimes find myself working hours on a single synth sound, and when I finally 'perfect' it, I find that neither the sound nor the part I wanted to play with it fit the song.

Yep, been there.

Lately I just use my CANNED sound libraries and begin from there. I seldom find the need any more to play with waves or even layer upon layer. Perhaps that is why I haven't written anything new lately? Is the Right AND Left side of my brain seemlessly woven together somehow....no Mathemetical and Artistic split? Can any of you relate to "A need to tweak"? Can tweaking with gear, in itself inspire music ?

Dan

• Members

Well if you find you need to "work real hard" to get something to work, as opposed to it just coming together thats a sign right there you may be barking up the wrong tree in the first place. When it's right its right, and don't fight to try to force something work that just ain't workin naturally, cuz you'll just waste time and be frustrated with nothting to show for it. Just like in a relationship. hehe.

Agreed. That's much of the reason I don't work on something all day.

• Members

Many times a song will be sparked with an idea that is later tossed. It served its purpose.

Yeah, that can definitely happen.

I think that one way to view jettisoning something you worked all day on is that at least you didn't continue to flog a dead horse. After giving it your best shot, you moved on to (hopefully) better options.

Archived