Linux - Who's using it?

the stranger

• CMS Author

I've tried it about once every other year for the last half dozen years. I can get it to work, but I want to do more with my computer than just send e-Mail, browse the Web, and run Open Office applications. . . . like use any audio interface I own except the dinky Behringer stereo USB interface or the computer's built in sound card.

When someone comes up with a driver for my Mackie 1200F, I might try Ardour again. But I don't see any real benefit to using Linux. Sure, it's open source, but I'm not a programmer. Where's the programmer who's going to write the Linux Pro Tools? And it doesn't matter to me if the operating system is free. I've already bought Windows so I can have a computer that works to download Linux. ;)

Oh, and on the other hand, I can't tell you about my experiences with Mac OS, or iOS either, because I don't have any.

• Members

I'm currently using and used Ubuntu Linux on my laptop for 3 years or more. It is best for web applications. It has the fastest boot, the fewest viruses and is very zippy, especially now that Chrome is also available for it. However, I can't completely walk away from Windows, because all of my expensive A&V apps run on it. Ubuntu seem to be the most friendly of the new Linux offerings. V10 has no problem setting up Network, audio and video drivers and easily will install Flash plugins when necessary. It also supports many printers.

Dan

• Members

I've been using PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) or a variant on all my computers except one which is loaded with XP and contains the programs I have for recording and am familiar with. That unit I will soon be setting up as a dual boot running Linux as the second boot option and start working more with recording under Linux.

I have the LXDE version running on an old box with an Athlon TBird and only 448MB ram, a really old HP Vectra VL400 with a PIII 1GHz and 256MB ram running Puppy Linux that I keep in the garage for streaming music, and another old HP with a P4 2GHz and 768MB ram that I stream music or view online football games that are not aired here in the hinterlands.

All run fine and none of the near daily maintenance that would be required if I ran a Windows system for those latter applications and I find I have to get "under the hood" much less with the distributions I run than any Windows system I've run.

Oh, I do have that really old unit running Win98 as a second boot for playing those old games like Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Redneck Rampage & etc. ;)

• Members

I'll run a variety of OSs including Linux (for gen/purpose boxes I usually load Win/Ubuntu). To me, an OS is basically just a meta-application so I'm not married to one.

I guess you could say I treat them a little like power tools - the OS is like to motor/drive system...drill motor, dremel tool, kitchen aid mixer (you know how they have the driveshaft off the front)

and the apps are sort of like the bits/accessories that I'm actually applying to the workpiece.

I think it's Jaron Lanier that talks about all digital devices being specialized in purpose (on a philosophical level kind of I suppose). I can see that on the philosophical level, but I can also see how the "general purpose" model of thinking has a place too. But where I think it gets problematic for me at least is when "general purpose" gets equated (in design and use) with "all purpose".

So I use a dremel when I need a dremel and a hammer drill motor when I need that, and a kitchenaid when I want to make noodles.

• Members

I tried Ardour and found it not ready for prime time. Maybe I'll try again in 10 years and see if it's grown up yet.

I played with Rosegarden a bit but found it to be a bit less user friendly , than Cubase or Sonar, for setup. For instance, you need to have the "Jack" MIDI engine installed and running first and then PATCH Rosegarden into it.

Dan

Archived