NAMM SSS Get Together?

sventvkg

• Members

I love NAMM get-togethers, but I'm always going to the Winter NAMM since I live near there. Please hoist a cold drink or chow down on a delicious Italian dish for me.

For those who are going to NAMM, the people that I've met on this forum have always been very friendly, interesting people that I'm proud to have as friends. Go hang out if you can!

• Members

For those who are going to NAMM, the people that I've met on this forum have always been very friendly, interesting people that I'm proud to have as friends. Go hang out if you can!

Agreed 1000%. As I've always said, if I was rich I'd fly every regular in this forum out to a party. I really enjoy meeting "the person behind the screen name." I've got to meet Elsongs at Winter NAMM, and that was very cool. He smiles as much as you think he would :)

By all means, let's do a get-together. We've tried this in the past at Summer NAMM and not had too many people show up, but maybe with "public day" we'll do better. But it would be worth it just to meet sventvkg. So let's see how many people will show up, then pick a date and time that works for all concerned.

• Members

While I won't be attending this show, I will second Ken's and Craig's experiences with get-togethers of forumites. I've become close friends with a number of people I first ran into on music/audio forums over the years, and many of these friendships really kicked off as a result of hang-outs at trade shows. Hell, my entire last album was created along with people who first got to know each other on SSS, and then strengthened our friendships through meet-ups. If you can get one rolling, I highly recommend it. :)

• Members

I'd love to go some year, and just got my first invite to NAMM, probably the public day thing? in Nashville. Where is winter NAMM? LA? Anyways, at this point, the flights are too painful, and expensive, from where I'm at.

But thanks for the invite this time around, in any event! :)

• CMS Author

Where is winter NAMM? LA? Anyways, at this point, the flights are too painful, and expensive, from where I'm at.

Winter NAMM is in Anaheim, which is near Los Angeles, about equally accessible from LAX, ONT (Ontario), LGB (long Beach) and SNA (John Wayne, Irvine, Orange County) airports. Unless they've had a change in heart, I don't think they're going to have an "open" day at the Winter show. They never have.

• CMS Author

Click on the Buy Tickets Now button for a ticket to the "Wanna Play" day, Saturday, July 23. It's $15 in advance or you can pay $20 at the door. The NAMM show is never really free. A certain number of admissions come with a NAMM membership which can be offered at the discretion of the member. Approved members of the press can get free admission, and there are some guest passes for members of The Recording Academy (Grammys) and famous artists and endorsers get free passes, probably from NAMM itself.

The NAMM show is, in general, a show that tries harder at keeping out than bringing people in. They want to keep it a place where manufacturers can meet dealers, distributors, and developers, not a preview for the musicians of what's to come (they depend on the press for that).

• CMS Author

I'd recommend dinner upstairs at Jack's Barbecue. Food's good, it's not very expensive, you can hang out for a while, and you're right downtown so you can check out all the bars and street singers. Since I'm not going, I haven't scoped out the NAMM-related show scene, but Shubb usually sponsors an acoustic guitar oriented concert, often as not featuring John Jorgensen. I'd give my right hand to play like him. ;)

Hey, somebody check out the Harrison Consoles booth. It's the first show I'm not attending that Harrison has exhibited at for a long time, probably because it's local for them and it's about #%&!@ time. Give me a progress report on MixBus, the Mac and Linux version of (sort of) a Harrison mixing console. I'm sure they'll be demonstrating it there.

Archived