Generally, what to expect from "B-stock" purchase?

• CMS Author

B-Stock isn't specific. It can be something that's been purchased, returned to the store, returned to the company, inspected, and re-sold to the dealer at a discount. It can be something that has never left company ownership, but that they take to demos and trade shows, it can be new product that has a small cosmetic blemish that doens't affect functionality. It might be completely new stock returned to the manufacturer by the dealer if the product has been discontinued.

What you can expect is something that works like it should, carries the standard factory warranty, and is somewhat cheaper than new. But it might have a scratch on the cabinet or a nick in the paint. You can be sure it works, though, at least as sure as anything that you buy new will work by the time it gets to you.

• Members

Consider the seller's rep and return policies. I bought a Virus B-Stock from 8th Street in Philly a few years back. I spoke with a sales rep first and got a good vibe (he actually sent a follow-up e-mail to see if I was happy with the purchase). The synth appeared as new.

I've never bought B-stock from NovaMusik but I've had other good experiences with them. Then again there are a few general purpose electronics stores that seem to have an endless supply of B-stock instruments that may give me pause.

• Members

I've generally had very good luck with B stock stuff and don't hesitate to seek it out for the savings. The best deal I got was my Rickenbacker 620 guitar. I've had it for several years now and have never discovered any flaws, in fact, after I finally figured out how to set it up properly I believe it's the best playing guitar I have. The worst item was an ART dual channel preamp, one channel did not work. It was a simple matter to return it however.

• Members

I`ve only purchased two used pieces of gear in my 20 years recording... a ADAT-XT from a guy who I knew through a friend and a guitar which I purchased from a good friend.

Both people let me play with both pieces before I made the purchase. If I don`t know the person, I`m not buying.

• Members

I have had nothing but good with B stock units. Both of the items I bought B stock have been great and they came with the full warranty.

Totally worth it.

Same here. As long as it comes with the full warranty and return policy and is from a reputable dealer or direct from the manufacturer (which B-stock pretty much always is and does), what's not to like?

I've made 2 major B-stock purchases this year: a Martin guitar which was the floor model (and I actually considered that a PLUS because I played the exact instrument I was buying and I liked it) and my Allen & Heath ZED R16. Both might as well have been factory sealed. Very happy with the purchases and the $$ saved.

• Members

I bid on and WON a Korg KAOSS KP3 on Ebay. It was $50-$100 cheaper than anyone elses , but it was a B stock item. After a day or 2 the seller refunded my money and told me that they were getting too many defects in that item??? As it turned out, a month later, I bought another NEW one for only $20 more.

The seller that refunded my money was a seller with a rating of 7559 99.8 % positive feeback, so he wasn't fooling around.

So that is one of my experiences with B stock...... "too many defects". These particular ones were manufacturer refurbished.

I also bought B-stock from NovaMusik ...another Korg, the KAOSSILATOR PRO. It was fine !!

Dan

• Members

Novamusik is selling the b-stock Night Train for $399 - most retailers are selling the new ones at $499. That's a pretty good chunk of savings, seems to me.

Does seem to be a whole bunch of the Night Trains on eBay...they do catch your eye and I bet get a lot of use/abuse as store demos and back to the factory for refurb and b-stocking.

Also, I bet a few newbies buy them thinking they can plug them straight into their sound cards and fry the units due to lack of amp load.:facepalm:

I am so craving that Vox chime ala Ticket To Ride, etc....

nat whilk ii

• Members

Yeah, that really does look like a kick ass amp, especially at that price.

I already have an AC15, but geez... maybe I'll sell it and get one of these and a cab.

Hmm.
:lol:

no effects loop - no 'verb....but maybe you just play without all that stuff...

nat whilk ii

• Members

Yeah, that really does look like a kick ass amp, especially at that price.

I already have an AC15, but geez... maybe I'll sell it and get one of these and a cab.

Hmm.
:lol:

I'll let you know how it sounds, maybe even throw some sweet samples at you.

I ordered the combo.

Thanks for the tip Nat.

When you two get yours we should do a track together, call it 'Tri-Train Boogie'.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Did you kids get your trains yet?

I got just the head, the cab was sold out.

I was in the big smoke and tried the hand wired 15s and 30s and the c versions etc, nothing made me pee my pants particularly.

The night train has the same character as the other more expensive units and its tiny and sweet so it won out easy.

It does something unique, and it rocks. Not enough time on it yet to say i like it better with x guitar or x pedal but i have tried it through several speakers and the alnico's tame the highs nicely. There is no shortage of top on this amp, it's like there is a shelf boost on it from 2.5 k when the tones are at 12 oclock,but it's easy to roll down with the treble knob at like 2-3.

The fat mode is much flatter and even. The triode mode is kinda useless it seems.

Overall a very cool unit for the price, and it sounds so different in the mids from fenders etc.

Archived