LA people! Go see Tedeschi/Trucks tonight

• Moderators

Monday the 18 at the El Rey. Wow. Just saw them last night in San Diego and...

...I have not seen live music this good in... forever? If you have any interest in live musicianship, the kind that puts music before jacking off, go see this band. Trucks is mindbogglingly musical. Soulful. And jawdroppingly precise. But that's the least of it... he makes music with his guitar and slide. Beautiful.

2 drummers, a brother team on bass and keys (B3, etc.) sax, trumpet and 'bone. 2 backup singers. Susan singing her ass off, playing great rhythm and knocking it out of the park a few times on lead as well.

But honestly, it's kind of hard taking your eyes off Derek. It's like getting to see Issac Stern or Hendrix or Miles. Really...

Go!!! :)

• Members

I saw them a couple of years ago and they were good, but at that time they were doing mostly soul oldies. The main down side was that Derek didn't do any extended solos. Now they have original material.

That song "Midnight in Harlem" which they perform on the most recent Crossroads DVD (now available through Netflix on-demand) is beautiful and ought to be a hit. Thanks to the miracle of Youtube you can hear it too:

[video=youtube;7czlanjaObs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7czlanjaObs

• Moderators

Beautiful. ^ His solo at 3:30 on... man. He's copping sitar stuff too! He's working that bzzz string against fret thing to perfection. And his mulitfret skips on the same string are just... yeah. He reminds me of chromatic harmonica player Toots Thielemans in his melodic sense.

Archived