My favorite chord at the moment

• Members

=Dmaj7#5

Or F#Maj triad/D

or Bb Maj triad/D

Scale D, F,F#,A,Bb,C#,D

So many cool shapes in this set of tones.

something strange that seems to work is to use this shape;

C#,D,E,F -half whole half (steps)

A,Bb,C,C#-half whole half (steps)

F,F#,G#,A-half whole half (steps)

Sort of a melodic minor shape off each chord root.:thu:

• Members

I don't know the proper name for this one, but it's a great transitional chord for the Em or G key.

It's B E A D F#, in order of ascending pitch.

I suppose the name would depend on the bass note with it. It could be Bm7sus4, or E9sus4, or A6sus4+9, or D6+9... whatever.. In the song I use it in, it would be the one with the B root.

On a guitar, it a barre on the 2nd fret, and a single finger on the 3rd fret of the B string, with the low E string muted.

• Members

I had to make a conscious effort to keep Am9/E* out of my turnarounds for some time. It still draws me like a siren to its rocky smooth, sandy shores.

*None of those, however, are the inversion I play. You'll have to come see me play (ha, catch me if you can) to see how I play it. It can also be spelled 7add6/E, and Emadd4addC. (But you still won't find my favored inversion there.)

• Members

=Dmaj7#5

Or F#Maj triad/D

or Bb Maj triad/D

Scale D, F,F#,A,Bb,C#,D

So many cool shapes in this set of tones.

something strange that seems to work is to use this shape;

C#,
D
,E,F -half whole half (steps)

A,
Bb
,C,C#-half whole half (steps)

F,
F#
,G#,A-half whole half (steps)

Sort of a melodic minor shape off each chord root.
:thu:

DMaj7#5 sounds nice when the #5 resolves to 5 (A). Or the Maj7 resolves to a "D". Try a Dominant 7th#5#9. One of my favorites.

John:cool:

• Members

I don't know the proper name for this one.......It's B E A D F#, in order of ascending pitch.

Yeah, this chord voicing is used a lot, especially by modern jazz, fusion guitar players etc.....players like Stern, Scofield, McLaughlin, Metheny.....well, everybody.

I personally might tend to think of this chord as a min11th though.

In a suspended 4th chord the 3rd is generally omitted and replaced with the P4th and there is a strong pull to resolve back to the maj3rd.

In a minor chord, you definitely want the min3rd interval in the chord to establish it as minor. In the case of this voicing the chord has both the intervals of the min 3rd and the P4th.......which makes me lean towards it being Min 11th......even though the 4th is not voiced an octave above the min3rd. Which is how you would normally voice a min11th chord.

Staying with a B root, try this min11th voicing..... 7X775X. (low to high)

Now play that chord right after......X22232 and see how they sound next to each other. Very similar. In the voicing you posted, if you played the open 1st string instead of the F# on the 2nd fret, it would be virtually identical.

This is a great chord to do chord comping with.......little stabs all up and down the neck like outside horn section parts.

I love this chord. I use the hell out of it and it never gets old.......and with this one very simple voicing, it can sound like you are just tearing up some chord improvisation.

• Members

)

Now play that chord right after......X22232 and see how they sound next to each other. Very similar. In the voicing you posted, if you played the open 1st string instead of the F# on the 2nd fret, it would be virtually identical.

This is a great chord to do chord comping with.......little stabs all up and down the neck like outside horn section parts.

I love this chord. I use the hell out of it and it never gets old.......and with this one very simple voicing, it can sound like you are just tearing up some chord improvisation.

Bm11? Thanks; I didn't think of the E being an 11th, but that's exactly right!

Archived