Every musician should watch this video!

• Members

Wow, what a super smart girl, very cool.

Yup. The best explanation of acoustics and the harmonic series I can remember.

She calls herself a "mathemusician," and her other videos are equally smart tours de force in stop-animation with rapid-fire and cogent narrations.

I like her "Doodling in Math Class" series and the video where she redefines pi as tau (along with the pie-baking visuals--gotta love that). Also, check out her whimsical but intriguing performance of Pachelbel's Canon in D with music boxes.

She is as creative as she is math-smart--a rare combination. She's possibly a genius.

• Members

Nicely done. I was disappointed she didn't get into the Pythagorean Comma, but, I guess, when you're trying to explain it all in less than 13 minutes, something's gotta give. And, clearly, most musicians and recording types don't have much of a clue on that one, either...

• Members

I am a HUGE FAN of hers since yesterday. I'm spreading the word of her awesomosity.

I've done the same thing, Lee: watched a bunch of her videos, then compiled a list of recommendations and sent it to friends. Weirdly, I can't find the original one that inspired this conversation ("What Is Up with Noises? The Science and Mathematics of Sound, Frequency, and Pitch") on her site--only on wimp and YT, etc.

That someone devotes that much time to illustrating mathematical concepts in her highly entertaining stop-animation videos is amazingly altruistic. And generous.

Someone give this woman a MacArthur Genius Grant!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In 2006 "The Who rocker Pete Townshend is losing his hearing, and fears the disability will end his songwriting career. The musician, 60, blames his own brand of loud rock music for his increasing deafness, and is terrified the damage is irreversible".

When you look at the video I think Pete should blame "The Cochlea"

Archived