RIP-Frank Foster

flemtone

• Members

:cry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/arts/music/frank-foster-jazz-saxophonist-and-composer-dies-at-82.html

One of my earliest musical memories is of my father introducing me to Count Basie's 'April in Paris' LP. I played that disk to ruination, replacing it twice. Foster's arrangements and saxophone fills still give me a thrill each time I hear them, whether they be with The Count, Elvin Jones or the Loud Minority.

Thanks for everything, Mr. Foster. You were truly one of a kind. Rest well.

• Members

Ah, sad to hear of his passing.

But what a great career! Artist-in-residence at the New England Conservatory of Music, frequent collaborator with Basie (I guess he was no longer in the Basie band when I saw them in 1965, though), leading his own bands and playing with some of the greatest names in jazz, a full time assistant professorship in the Black Studies Program of University of New York, Buffalo, and the same year he joined the New England Conservatory, he also became a teacher of music in Harlem under a special federal cultural enrichment project.

What a life! An inspiration.

RIP, Mr Foster.

• Members

My wife mentioned she heard about this yesterday so I dug through my LPs to find my Basie Band with Frank Foster record. Yes - absolutely great stuff. Haven't heard much about him lately, but back in the day he was THE MAN.

Archived