Watch those links and ads folks -- more trojan malware lurking on Bing and elsewhere

blue2blue

• Members

Good info. I don't think I've ever clicked on an ad in my life. If something does get my curiosity I google the product or service listed on the ad and look for info myself rather than click through an ad. I have noticed more bad links in search results. I've always been a cautious fellow, but it's becoming a minefield such that I even get tripped up by a bad link now and then. I have a switch setup for my router, so if something happens I quickly shut it off before any damage can be done. Then clear the cache and all that. It's probably happened more in the last year than in the previous five. Getting tricky.

• Members

I occasionally google my business and band names... since my real name is part of my business name and the name I use for my acoustic/folkie music, I saw a site offering my music. Since my song blog uses Internet Archive for storage, I figured it was just one of those offshore "free mp3" joints that repackages or just links to their content -- and I appeared to be right, but I'd no sooner come to that conclusion -- just looking, mind you -- when something started downloading to my machine.

I aborted it -- I thought -- but when I was doing a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (they gotta shorten that name) scan of my system -- after posting this here and, earlier, joining others giving advice to a guy who had visited Tube-Tech's website (don't go there just now) which had been defaced by a hacker (but wasn't necessarily or even likely serving malware, but which worried him plenty, nonetheless), as well as commiserating with one of my Facebook/real world pals whose Mac was still infected with MacDefender and who was lamenting that Apple's fix was only for the latest OS and not his (but, of course, the fix was end-run within hours, which saw Apple issuing a new fix every day for a while [and whatever happened with that?) -- I found the uninstalled payload from yet another fake-anti-malware trojan on my own machine -- presumably from that earlier incident where I was investigating the 'free downloads' of my own music... :facepalm:

Happily MalwareBytes nuked it on a thorough scan. But, dang, using my own music in an attempt to infest my machine with a drive-by trojan... how 21st century is that? :D

• Members

Here's an interesting read (also from ZDNet's Ed Bott who seems to be turning into a sort of Jeremiah on personal computing security issues. (He's the guy who broke the MacDefender story -- and initially took a load of heat from the say-it-ain't-so crowd, which generated a number of follow up blog posts as folks realized that he was actually right and that MacDefender was a big deal.)

Why do people fall for Trojans?

Archived