Big Brother gets reel-to-reel from santa.

• Members

Here's a cute photo I found online. I don't know who the people are. Somebody's brother has received a reel-to-reel for Christmas. What, circa 1967, maybe?

Can you date the photo from that recorder? Can you tell what brand this unit is? What tape did it use? How fast did the tape move? Did it record in stereo? Did the mic input consist of just one 1/8" jack?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337914[/ATTACH]

Nowadays, the colors black and chrome are usually employed to indicate that something is "high tech"... but in the 60's, grey, cream and beige were often used. (-;

• CMS Author

If the resolution of the photo was better you could probably read the cover of the manual that they're studying. It looks like a Sony or Superscope (same company around that time) and judging by the external speaker, it was probably stereo. That's the way they did it back then - one speaker built in, the other outboard. Then they went to two speakers outboard. Probably Scotch 111 tape, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips. The mic jack surely wasn't one 1/8" jack because nobody was using them back then other than for portables, probably one or two 1/4" jacks, and it probably came with one or two (if it really was stereo recording) pretty basic dynamic mics.

Maybe you can find something like it here

• Members

Ive got some R2R's of family stuff from the 60's and 70's. Been transfering it slowly to digital. I was just a we lad. Some good ole jams recorded to old consumer gear. Some tapes went down to 1 3/8 IPS. My brother and I had an old deck like that and one Christmas we got Major Matt Mason astronaut toys. We would put on audio show while playing with them. Wish I had those tapes

Archived