East Coast feels the Bane of the West Coast

• Members

5.9 magnitude quake shakes the complaceny out of the 'Right' Coasters.

The local news stations are whipping everyone into a frenzy...cell phones are ALL jammed...people are descending on gas stations and foodstores stocking up on the usual, Milk, Bacon, and Bread...

Why bacon? do people have 'bacon parties' during snowstorms, earthquakes and National Emergencies?

I was in my Jeep parked when the quake hit...my car was rocking and I thought someone had 'ass-ended' me.

Much Ado about Nothing.

East Coasters= Canaries in a Coal Mine when it comes to a little shakeup.

Jeez, the 'Smartphone' addicts must be in major withdrawal not being able to access their little crutches.:lol:

• CMS Author

I was in Staples picking up some cheap Sharpies (a 5 pack for $2) when the quake hit. I heard some noise, the ceiling fluorescent fixtures swung around for a few seconds, I felt the floor shake. It was all over in a few seconds. I saw a lot of people standing outside of building on the way home. Everything was fine at home, nothin' shakin'.

We actually had a slightly bigger quake here a couple of years ago, but I don't think it extended as far up the coast as this one. How soon we forget.

• Members

We felt it slightly up here in Ottawa, Canada. Noticed it in a meeting, when the projector screen was wobbling a little, and then discovered so was the entire building.

We had a 5.6 up here last summer which was surprising, I slept through the previous minor (3.0?) quake in '01 since my appartment used to shake anyway when trucks went down an adjacent street.

• Members

Welcome to our Alaskan world.

I had several sessions when eq hit and I was literally keeping my speakers on stands by hands. My friend used special belts to secure his speakers on stands after that. I moved mine on a top of my desk.

• Members

5.9 magnitude quake shakes the complaceny out of the 'Right' Coasters.

The local news stations are whipping everyone into a frenzy...cell phones are ALL jammed...people are descending on gas stations and foodstores stocking up on the usual, Milk, Bacon, and Bread...

Why bacon? do people have 'bacon parties' during snowstorms, earthquakes and National Emergencies?

I was in my Jeep parked when the quake hit...my car was rocking and I thought someone had 'ass-ended' me.

Much Ado about Nothing.

East Coasters= Canaries in a Coal Mine when it comes to a little shakeup.

Jeez, the 'Smartphone' addicts must be in major withdrawal not being able to access their little crutches.
:lol:

Yes indeed brudda or as the Dutch say, Jazeker or Ja zeker. But whatever... hey where ya been? You've been missed. Hope to see you here online more often. Cheers

• Members

I'd be more concerned about the hurricane heading your way if it really does develop into a Category 4 storm. Having been through both reasonably heavy-duty earthquakes and hurricanes, the earthquakes were very disquieting, but the afteraffects of one hurricane meant no water, gas, or electricity for two weeks...

True story: When the hurricane hit, I was in the middle of writing the manual for Native Instruments' Battery. Fortunately I had it loaded on my laptop, and an iGo car adapter. I'd crawl into my VW and turn on the air conditioning just long enough for it to cool down because I needed to conserve as much gas as possible. After it got unbearably hot, I'd turn it back on again. Meanwhile, there was this constant "tock - tock - tock" sound of mosquitoes hitting the windshield...not fun at all. And because there was no electricity, none of the sewage processing plants in the county worked, so there was this lovely scent permeating the night air.

As to earthquakes, I lived so close to the epicenter of a 5.9 earthquake a National Geological Survey dude visited and asked if he could put meters in to measure the aftershocks. But because I was so close, all the motion was up and down. I saw my TEAC 3340 lift up an inch or two in the air, then come right back down to where it had been. The weirdest part was right after that, the "wave" hit and it looked like someone had placed a rolling pin under my floor and rolled it from one end to the other. Crazy stuff.

Good luck east coast...hope you don't get aftershocks while the hurricane hits. That could be a major drag.

Oh, and if there is a really bad hurricane, don't assume FEMA will be of any use whatsoever. Make sure you have water and food of course, but also, find out which neighbor has a chain saw, and make sure it's in good shape. In Florida, palm trees bend with the wind, but in the northeast you could have a lot of issues with roads being blocked by trees, trees falling on roofs, even people or animals pinned down by trees. At that point a chain saw is worth its weight in gold. A generator or two wouldn't hurt, either.

• Members

Yes indeed brudda or as the Dutch say, Jazeker or Ja zeker. But whatever... hey where ya been? You've been missed. Hope to see you here online more often. Cheers

Hey Sir Tim, thanks for the kind words...I've been here, checking in, reading and learning from the wealth of musical/technical acumen passed on by you guys.

I repeat what I have been saying since I joined the SSS crowd two years ago; So many talented and knowledgeable 'peeps' on this site.

• Members

I'd be more concerned about the hurricane heading your way if it really does develop into a Category 4 storm. Having been through both reasonably heavy-duty earthquakes and hurricanes, the earthquakes were very disquieting, but the afteraffects of one hurricane meant no water, gas, or electricity for two weeks...

True story: When the hurricane hit, I was in the middle of writing the manual for Native Instruments' Battery. Fortunately I had it loaded on my laptop, and an iGo car adapter. I'd crawl into my VW and turn on the air conditioning just long enough for it to cool down because I needed to conserve as much gas as possible. After it got unbearably hot, I'd turn it back on again. Meanwhile, there was this constant "tock - tock - tock" sound of mosquitoes hitting the windshield...not fun at all. And because there was no electricity, none of the sewage processing plants in the county worked, so there was this lovely scent permeating the night air.

As to earthquakes, I lived so close to the epicenter of a 5.9 earthquake a National Geological Survey dude visited and asked if he could put meters in to measure the aftershocks. But because I was so close, all the motion was up and down. I saw my TEAC 3340 lift up an inch or two in the air, then come right back down to where it had been. The weirdest part was right after that, the "wave" hit and it looked like someone had placed a rolling pin under my floor and rolled it from one end to the other. Crazy stuff.

Good luck east coast...hope you don't get aftershocks while the hurricane hits. That could be a major drag.

Oh, and if there is a really bad hurricane, don't assume FEMA will be of any use whatsoever. Make sure you have water and food of course, but also,
find out which neighbor has a chain saw, and make sure it's in good shape.
In Florida, palm trees bend with the wind, but in the northeast you could have a lot of issues with roads being blocked by trees, trees falling on roofs, even people or animals pinned down by trees. At that point a chain saw is worth its weight in gold. A generator or two wouldn't hurt, either.

Hurricanes we are used to, so must of us East Coasters know the drill, generator and chainsaw a must, at least 200 bucks in cash for food gas etc. Merchants are going to take cash over plastic if it's really a bad, prolonged, storm with power outages...Have at least a half tank of gas in your car.

Have a 'bug-out bag' pre- packed with all your important personal papers, preferably waterproof, in case you have to 'book' in a hurry..plenty of bottled water, flashlights, batteries, canned food, can opener, maybe MRES,

It seems like a lot of prep, but it really isn't if you have the basic stuff already on hand...A lot of the things I mentioned are a requirement for my Beach Buggy Permit to drive on the Beach and fish the surf each trip, and I'm usually down there 2-3 times a week.

ps: forgot to mention I live on the banks of the Delaware River and we have had three major floods in the last 7 years...had to evacuate all three times, luckily the River has crested at flood stage about 10 yards from my house, I am on a rise...

a Little extra rain and the New York reservoirs being emptied into the 'Delly ' cause a whole {censored}load of probs for we 'down river' towns...

Like Eddie Rabbit, I used to 'love a Rainy Night' but not anymore.:eek:

• Members

Hahahahahaha! We felt a little shaking but nothing too bad, we have this woman who works in the purchasing dept. who just FREAKED out and ran to a doorway and was standing there saying it's the safe place to be, the aftershocks are gonna hit etc... she was in hysterics. Finally someone said "Hey Joanie, there's cupcakes in the lunchroom!" (she's kind of big).

• Members

Hurricanes we are used to, so must of us East Coasters know the drill, generator and chainsaw a must, at least 200 bucks in cash for food gas etc. Merchants are going to take cash over plastic if it's really a bad, prolonged, storm with power outages...Have at least a half tank of gas in your car.

Have a 'bug-out bag' pre- packed with all your important personal papers, preferably waterproof, in case you have to 'book' in a hurry..plenty of bottled water, flashlights, batteries, canned food, can opener, maybe MRES,

It seems like a lot of prep, but it really isn't if you have the basic stuff already on hand...A lot of the things I mentioned are a requirement for my Beach Buggy Permit to drive on the Beach and fish the surf each trip, and I'm usually down there 2-3 times a week.

ps: forgot to mention I live on the banks of the Delaware River and we have had three major floods in the last 7 years...had to evacuate all three times, luckily the River has crested at flood stage about 10 yards from my house, I am on a rise...

a Little extra rain and the New York reservoirs being emptied into the 'Delly ' cause a whole {censored}load of probs for we 'down river' towns...

Like Eddie Rabbit, I used to 'love a Rainy Night' but not anymore.
:eek:

What about personal protection in your bug out bag? I keep a S&W .38 and a small box of rounds, to be safe when the SHTF. Once the weather calms down is when the real trouble begins.

• Members

We had a 3.6 in the East Bay last night--God's way of reminding us to be nice.

Yeah. I stopped poking fun at the East Coast Quake after thinking that karma retribution would be nasty. My entire area near the beach will experience something called liquefaction in the event of a seriously big quake, and it's... not good. Not by any definition.

• Members

What about personal protection in your bug out bag? I keep a S&W .38 and a small box of rounds, to be safe when the SHTF. Once the weather calms down is when the real trouble begins.

Yes, podnah, I am retired LEO so I know the drill, 9mm for me w/ about 50 rounds of conventional ammo...I am in a leafy suburb of Phila/Trenton but the 'Congo' is only 7 miles away, ...my wife is a recently retired County Sheriffs officer...she brings her CCW Kel Tec 380 with two extra mags.

I omitted the 'protection' aspect as I have been assailed in the past about my 'Rambo Ramblings':lol:

But it's not like I didn't deserve it!

Thanks for your timely input.:wave:

ps; totally OT. but Joey Vento founder of Philly's Geno's Steaks and a nominal friend, (loved his steaks...passed on his political stance) died at age 71 of a Massive Heart Attack.... hours after the EQ.

Shout out to rjt...Dude, did you get the news?

• Members

ps; totally OT. but Joey Vento founder of Philly's Geno's Steaks and a nominal friend, (loved his steaks...passed on his political stance) died at age 71 of a Massive Heart Attack.... hours after the EQ.

Not necessarily OT at all. As we Californians can tell you, even in small quakes, there are often deaths afterwards via heart attacks, mostly of elderly folks whose bodies can't handle the adrenaline rush. RIP to Joey... loved his steaks too.

• Members

Not necessarily OT at all. As we Californians can tell you, even in small quakes, there are often deaths afterwards via heart attacks, mostly of elderly folks whose bodies can't handle the adrenaline rush. RIP to Joey... loved his steaks too.

Good call...when I first started working for the County of Mercer in NJ, (1972) I was on two Civil Service lists...Social Worker and County Investigator...I worked as a Social Worker in the 'Old Age and Disability' unit for a year and a half...it was a great job and I loved the clientle and for some reason they loved this skinny 21 year old Hippie SW too.

As you said , sometimes their poor old hearts could'nt take change of any type...I remember a Nursing Facility that caught fire and 103 elderly residents had to be transferred to a new venue...Out of that 103 that were displaced I think 30 something died within a month or so after the move....

I left the Social Worker position for a higher paying position as a Criminal Investigator... but I never forgot those people I got to meet and talk to on a daily basis and hear the stories of days gone by when they were young, fresh, adventuresome, and idealistic...I still remember the old photos they pulled out with shaking hands of young, pretty, lithe. women, and muscular, full haired men with rakish grins and realized That they were pics of them when they were at my age...

Really hit home...thanks for the reminder Jeff

Archived