Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this THE Craig Anderton of Electronic Projects For Musicians fame?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this THE Craig Anderton of Electronic Projects For Musicians fame?

I still have his 1970's book and the vinyl record that came with it.
    Mr. Anderton also had a great column in Guitar Player Magazine.

since then, I have been hearing in other forums, that people are still recommending connecting a Ground wire to the Tailpiece or Bridge, when Mr. Anderton clearly proposes is a shock risk which may have electrocuted many guitarists in the 1960's.

I have been hearing in other forums, that people are still recommending connecting a Ground wire to the Tailpiece or Bridge, when Mr. Anderton clearly proposes is a shock risk which may have electrocuted many guitarists in the 1960's.

Yes he is the Craig you speak of.
    I'd like to see your documented proof musicians dieing.
    Having been a guitarist for over 4 decades and seeing all the idiots out there
    musicins would be dropping like flys if it was truely that dangerous.

Strings are connected to ground. They have to be to minimize hum.
    You body acts as a ground shield to block EMF and the body carries the AC radio waves (EMF) hum to ground.
    What has changed since the 60s is grounded outlets. Most all amps today have grounded AC cords that makes the amp chassis safe.
    In the old days, before the 2 prong plugs were different sizes you could plug in backwards and have a hot chassis.
    Amp manufacturers put in polarity reverse switches to correct the polarity. This was something musicians knew or learned quickly after getting zapped once.

Other than getting a nasty zap I dont know of anyone who died from a polarity shock. I'm not saying it cant happen. Its always recomended you
    use your god given brain if you got one to minimize hazzards working around electricity. I've been bitten thousands of times as an electronic tech
    or putting my lip on a reverse polarity mic. It will let you know you got a problem. You always know an experienced musician when he tests a mic
    to see if its hot. He'll do the quick temp test to see if the kettle is hot with his finger before putting his lip on a mic.

In reality, the body does need to be well grounded to earth, like standing on a wet concrete floor in bare feet to get the full charge.
    Of course someone with a weak heart should learn the basics of working safely with electricity too.

Some who have gotten shocks and are overly afraid of shocks should carry a polarity tester to test outlets and never bypass the ground plug.

You can also put a capacitor between the guitar strings and ground.
    This will remove the high current that can occur yet still allow the body to block EMF.

Its also best to connect your equipment to the same outlet loop vs different electrical loops back to the circuit breaker box
    so you dont have ground leakage an potential shock hazzards that way.

Being knowlegable and checking connection safety is always your best defence against potential hazzards.

Comment

You can get a thorough breakdown of electric guitar shock hazards here.

It's actually pretty interesting reading...

Comment

Google results only bring up two verified deaths I can find.
        The rest are all forums full of BS with nothing verifyable

Leslie Harvey and John Rostill
        Both died overseas where the voltage runs at 240VAC vs 120V here in the US.

Comment

Goole results only bring up two verified deaths I can find.

Apparently, ghouls aren't getting the results they used to.

Best,

Geoff
          Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Comment

Apparently, ghouls aren't getting the results they used to.

Best,

Geoff

Used to be that most ghouls were already dead but then once over in Chicago we went to this rave club.....
            http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

Yes, that's me Not to be confused with Craig Anderton, the British soccer star, or the ultra-hot model Sophie Anderton.

I recommend connecting the strings to ground through a capacitor large enough to pass hum frequencies. That way there's no direct connection to ground.
              Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I tried connecting my strings to the ground, but my tailpiece kept coming loose no matter how tightly I anchored it into the earth. Plus, it was hard to move around onstage.
                Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

Corrected, thanks. I'm a lousey two finger typer. I've never been able to retrain my hands from playing
                  notes on a keyboard from such an early age to typing letters.
                  I've given up trying to type well a long time ago. Its still better than trying to handwright though.
                  Now thats something I wouldnt wish on anyone. Its funny too because both of my parents
                  had expert handwriting.

Comment

Sorry Craig, but can we change this to the Sophie Anderton forum?
                    Something...

Comment

Google results only bring up two verified deaths I can find.
                      The rest are all forums full of BS with nothing verifyable

Leslie Harvey and John Rostill
                      Both died overseas where the voltage runs at 240VAC vs 120V here in the US.
                      Those are the only two famous people. I'd bet dollars to donuts there were more who weren't famous.

BTW, it's the frequency that kills, not the voltage (in this case). It disrupts the solar plexus, causing cardiac arrest. I heard that the worst case frequencies are in the 50 to 60 hz range -- imagine that! Higher voltage does increase the likelihood of injury, and definitely increases the pain of accidental but nonfatal contact.
                      learjeff.net

Comment

Sorry Craig, but can we change this to the Sophie Anderton forum?

learjeff.net

Comment

Is that Craig?

I never pictured him quite so matchy-matchy.
                          I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.

Comment

Is that Craig?

I never pictured him quite so matchy-matchy.

I'm going to dig out that book and look for the flyleaf...
                            LarryProud Member: Mazi Bee MilitaGreat deals With: messiahofevil, Belt. xtchc1978, baddmann28, Overwhelmed987,OldGtrNovice,Ejendres and SlaveUnitWon't deal with: Bluesmann (counterfeit guitar fan)

Comment

Yes! You have arrived at OZ and The Wizard does live here, but even if you travel down the yellow brick road to the castle, he won't be able to give you a new brain or heart if you electrocute yourself. So be careful with that guitar !

One of the Munchkins

I still have his 1970's book and the vinyl record that came with it.
                              Mr. Anderton also had a great column in Guitar Player Magazine.

since then, I have been hearing in other forums, that people are still recommending connecting a Ground wire to the Tailpiece or Bridge, when Mr. Anderton clearly proposes is a shock risk which may have electrocuted many guitarists in the 1960's.
                              http://musicinit.com/fastfingers.php An Experiment in 80's Technology

http://youtube.com/techristian My YOUTUBE channel
                              Music videos at http://musicinit.com/video.php

Comment

Working...
                              X