Time to Get A New Computer....

• Members

My dual G5 (2005) is crapping out again. Two years ago I was getting those Kernel Trap messages and the screen would go black (aka: face of death) with that message in multiple languages advising me to restart. Two years ago, I was able to get a new Hard Drive and new CD/DVD burner. Several hundred dollars later I was back home and working. I found out back then that Apple sort of screwed up the design of those machines, lack of airflow led to lots of issues with overheating. The new Power Macs addressed the issue so... something I am considering.

Anyway, I was looking at this opportunity to downsize to an iMac. Of course, if I went that route, then I have to change my audio interface. If I go with the PowerMac, I might have to purchase another PCI card. Basically this all equates to lots of $$$$. Going the iMac route is slightly cheaper but I`m looking at this long term and thinking the PowerMac may be a better investment.

Then again, theres a part of me that wants to take the $$$$ and just invest it in Apple like I should have done 10 freaking years ago. :mad:

I use it primarily with Digital Performer, Reason and loads of plugs. Both the iMac and PowerMac are sufficient for my needs but at this point, I`m really trying to decide which way to go. I like the all in oneness of the iMac... but I like the flexibility of the PowerMac. Ideas, insights?

Maybe I should just invest that $$$$ into Apple? Seriously.

• Members

I don't quite understand. To me the money used for computers and the money used for investments are different funds. Since I got into Macs a few years ago, every one I've bought has been a laptop. I started with a 15" G4 Powerbook then later bought a 15" core duo MBP, both used on eBay. In between that time I bought a G3 Lombard so I could learn and use all the incredible functions of the MOTU Midi Timepiece II. In '08 I finally bought a new 15" core 2 duo MBP from Amazon which is now my main recording computer and late last year I bought a 17" i5 MBP also from Amazon.

• Members

I ended up buying a 4 year old PowerMac quadcore because I just cannot afford those things new, replacing my G5, which was a bit slow for me on some recording projects. I also have an iMac, which my girlfriend and I purchased together, for working on websites, photos, and more, which also works quite well. The screen looks amazing. I'd love to have a brand new PowerMac, but I don't know how anyone affords those things, but at least I'm up and running with a relatively fast computer.

• Members

Check your RAM before you give up on your G5. I had problems very similar to yours and it turns out one of the RAM sticks had gone intermittently bad.

There are memory test programs for the Mac. They're not 100% accurate because you need some RAM to run the program, but if it says there's an issue, then you can be sure the problem is real.

• Members

Check your RAM before you give up on your G5.
I had problems very similar to yours and it turns out one of the RAM sticks had gone intermittently bad.

There are memory test programs for the Mac. They're not 100% accurate because you need some RAM to run the program, but if it says there's an issue, then you can be sure the problem is real.

Yes, thanks Craig. Before I get something else, I`m definitely unplugging some RAM and other externals. Always fun....

• Members

I'm considering one more PC, but want to use couple of old PCI cards. I know there were some problems with i7 Sandy Bridge MB. So, still kind of thinking.

Couple of my friends are using iMacs with ProTools and it seems work just fine.

• Members

Hey Gang,

Well my old Dual G5 is toast. Purchasing an iMac 2.7GHz and the Duet 2. Already placed the order to max out the RAM at 16 GBs.

Funny, I started recording 20 years ago with a Tascam 424 MKII, one mic and a Korg M1, then ten years ago I had ADATs, a Mackie d8b, loads of outboard gear, now... an iMac running DP, REASON/RECORD with loads of plugs. The only outboard gear... my Avalon 737s... downsizing for sure. Looking forward to another twist in this road towards audio zen.

I guess this can be done... I have a very nice monitor I was using with the G5 so I want to use it as a secondary monitor. Can this be done? How?

I`m also selling my JV1080 with synth sound card if anyone is interested... make an offer....

• Members

I'm using an iMac for internet, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iMovie, etc. and it works great. I'm sure it'll be great with a DAW too. The limitations with an iMac, you already know...all external drives, limited I/O. But you can do just fine with one nonetheless. Fantastic monitor.

• Members

I'm using an iMac for internet, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iMovie, etc. and it works great. I'm sure it'll be great with a DAW too. The limitations with an iMac, you already know...all external drives, limited I/O. But you can do just fine with one nonetheless. Fantastic monitor.

Hey Ken,

My studio will be pretty different. With the Duet, I`m losing the MOTU 2408 but to be honest, I purchased that 11 years ago when I was doing 16 ADAT tracks and 8 analog. Since 2005 (when I sold the d8b) I`ve been using it for stereo in and out... just what the Duet 2 does and according to reviews, it sounds better too.

The only externals will be the two additional hard drives I use for backup. My outboard gear is also dwindling down, now just left with 2 Avalon 737s. The other MIDI modules are being sold... the Mackie 1402 may also make an appearance on eBay.

Last year I was looking at the Rosetta 200, glad I didn`t get it then... I`m really all about consolidating the entire studio into a small space with maximum efficiency.

• Members

What is toasty about the dual G5? CPU? Mobo? Power supply?

Hey Craig,

Two years ago I threw $900 into the G5, replacing the hard drive, power supply and DVD writer. The fans on this unit rev up on full lots of times, this was an issue Apple has been aware of since the units birth. They addressed it by completely redesigning the interior, moving things around for better airflow which we see in the PowerMacs. You probably know alot more about this than I do but to someone like Mike Rivers, who is joking about it, its really a serious issue. I`m just tired of this units noise and overheating. I`ve been backing up just about everything that I use it for including my iTunes library, my website and obviously all my own music. Just the other day, while transferring my iTunes library, the machine blacked out on me twice. The 3rd time I was able to transfer everything and then shortly after it blacked out again meaning... you get that black screen that says to restart. Upon restart you can read the explanation... the kernel panic message.... not good. Anyway, I`m done trying to fix this thing up.

I know you were collecting RAM mods, if you need some, send me a PM with an address. As far as I know the DVD writer still works so if you`re interested in that, I can send that too.

Peace,

E

• Members

That sounds wonderful. My studio is a mish-mosh of old and new, including an old rack. Oh well.

The I/O I was referring to is the lack of expansion with cards, firewire or USB for everything (HDs, peripherals, the Duet). However, with your streamlining, you should not have a problem, and again, you're obviously aware of those limitations and are fine with them or else you wouldn't be getting an iMac in the first place.

• Members

I`m ok losing the slots for cards... I only used the PCI card the entire time I had a G4 and G5... thats 11 years. Kind of like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. :lol:

Meant to ask you, which iMac did you get? Are you enjoying it for photo editing? From what I`m reading, people love it for photo work.

• Members

The I/O I was referring to is the lack of expansion with cards, firewire or USB for everything (HDs, peripherals, the Duet).

I got an iMac and was concerned about the lack of I/O you describe, although it turns out I haven't run into any problems. It's powerful, beautiful, and quiet.

However, with Thunderbolt (essentially PCIe) on the new iMacs, I/O/expansion will no longer be a problem: it'll let you add firewire, USB, drives, peripherals, Flowbees...

• Members

I got an iMac and was concerned about the lack of I/O you describe, although it turns out I haven't run into any problems. It's powerful, beautiful, and quiet.

Very cool.

However, with Thunderbolt (essentially PCIe) on the new iMacs, I/O/expansion will no longer be a problem: it'll let you add firewire, USB, drives, peripherals, Flowbees...

I'm gonna hafta find out more about Thunderbolt, as I didn't know that it was going to be sort of like PCIe. That will add extra I/O in addition to FW, USB, that kind of thing then?

Archived