If you only had 1 year left, would you do anything different?

techristian

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would quit my day job, travel and visit friends and family. Then I would organize, archive and transfer my lifetime of music work and put as much as possible online in hopes that it would be heard well into the future. Any left over time would be devoted to making love and music.

• Members

Hmm, interesting question. I really enjoy my life as it is. There's not a lot I'd do differently. I'd probably rush to get a bunch of music recorded that I've been lingering to finish. But I already spend a lot of time with my kid and my ladyfriend, and am fortunate enough to perform and write music as often as I like. I live in a nice place, so I don't have a tremendous desire to travel. I wouldn't really cash in my savings, but I'd make sure it was set up to go to my son. So really, I'd basically do what I'm doing now. I guess that's a good sign about my lifestyle.

• Moderators

For those that are saying they'd get their music out there... it's sort of a telling statement. Maybe the time to do that is now?

A year ago I'd have been saying the same thing about wanting to get my music out, but I've been completing and posting my music on youtube consistently for a year now. I feel pretty good about that. It completes the cycle of creating.

What better time than now?

• CMS Author

I don't know how much time I have left, but at 68, it might be a year, might be 25 years. I don't have any family so there's nobody to provide for when I'm gone, my web page with all my wisdom will probably stay around until the Internet goes out of business. I have a will that distributes some of my money to a few organizations that I've worked with (music-oriented) and who can always use some cash. I'm donating all of my old mixers and recorders to Craig because "analog just works."

But just this week I put a deposit on a new house in California, and that's something I've never done before. (Ken, Jeff, Blue2blue - hope you guys got good backs and can help me move furniture) This venture will probably take most of the money I was going to give away to future culture. And I'm completely prepared to back out of the deal in case I don't like how it turns out. Then I can do it again. ;)

• Members

I don't know how much time I have left, but at 68, it might be a year, might be 25 years. I don't have any family so there's nobody to provide for when I'm gone, my web page with all my wisdom will probably stay around until the Internet goes out of business. I have a will that distributes some of my money to a few organizations that I've worked with (music-oriented) and who can always use some cash. I'm donating all of my old mixers and recorders to Craig because "analog just works."

But just this week I put a deposit on a new house in California, and that's something I've never done before. (Ken, Jeff, Blue2blue - hope you guys got good backs and can help me move furniture) This venture will probably take most of the money I was going to give away to future culture. And I'm completely prepared to back out of the deal in case I don't like how it turns out. Then I can do it again.
;)

Well, you can always adopt me?

• Members

Would you quit your job? Spend more time with the family? Cash in all of your investments and travel the world? Retire?...or would you stay on the same path that you are already on?

I'm already retired. There isn't much that I could do differently.

Dan

Great question. I belive that if this really were said to me ( you are terminal ) what I would choose to do would be completely different than an answer I would provide just pondering ( with no death threat ).

Here's my shot at an answer.

I would get as much cash as possible....then travel. See those I wanted to see to say goodbye and maybe go to Europe.

Never been there.

• Members

Sell the house and everything else (except the Les Paul I'll be buried with), quit the job, buy a BRAND NEW Harley and live on my savings while I hit the road. The Northwest and the Southeast are two areas of the country I haven't really seen yet.

• Members

Well, I work in a hospital and see how quickly life can "turn around" (usually in bad ways) so I already try to live every day pretty fully. In an effort to be sure I have enough $$ for the future and my upcoming retirement, I travel economy class, and am generally pretty frugal about eating out etc. I would probably travel in luxury for a couple of fairly lengthy trips while I ponder who might benefit from any money I had left.....

Archived