Irene's headed right at me in Connecticut

Philter

• Members

025514W5_NL_sm.gif

I was hoping this 11 PM update would have shifted it further east as it had been trending, but they put it back west, right over eastern Connecticut.

Haven't had a proper hurricane here since Gloria, 1987. Took out a lot of trees, roads, and power. I remember missing something like two weeks of school.

Since then lots of trees have had the chance to get older and taller. We have a lot of trees in these parts. You might say they're a feature.

Unfortunately against Craig's earlier advice I don't own a chain saw. But I'm half done stocking up with food for the possibility of a prolonged power outage (as we experienced with Gloria.) I'm going to do the rest of the shopping tomorrow morning. I have a feeling if the storm stays on the path it's on, the {censored} will hit the fan here by tomorrow afternoon, and by Friday the grocery stores will be mobbed. The experience of Gloria was exactly the kind where you need all kinds of stuff from the grocery store... prolonged power outage and big cleanup after.

It was more fun when I was a kid. Now it's kind of a huge pain in the ass. But I admit, there is still part of me that gets pretty excited. Probably the stupid, foolhardy part.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well my 95 year old Dad is at the family shore house in Cape May Pt. NJ. Elevation 4ft, though our house is probably 2 if that. He may need to get evacuated.

I'm on my boat; soon as these thunderstorms pass through, I'm getting out of Dodge. I got caught by a fast moving hurricane about 15 years ago; was 'only' a tropical storm by the time it hit me on the Chesapeake. I was in a very protected anchorage, but that is an experience I would NOT like to repeat, sitting up through the night while the wind shrieks through the rigging with the hardest rain I've ever seen. Nope, don't want to do that again; older and wiser (sometimes).

Then there was Isabelle which brought an 8 foot tidal surge at my marina and destroyed a ton of property on the western Chesapeake. You can still go through stores in Annapolis and see where they marked the walls where the water was. Not to be ignored.

• Members

025514W5_NL_sm.gif

I was hoping this 11 PM update would have shifted it further east as it had been trending, but they put it back west, right over eastern Connecticut.

Haven't had a proper hurricane here since
Gloria
, 1987. Took out a lot of trees, roads, and power. I remember missing something like two weeks of school.

Since then lots of trees have had the chance to get older and taller. We have a lot of trees in these parts. You might say they're a feature.

Unfortunately against Craig's earlier advice I don't own a chain saw. But I'm half done stocking up with food for the possibility of a prolonged power outage (as we experienced with Gloria.) I'm going to do the rest of the shopping tomorrow morning. I have a feeling if the storm stays on the path it's on, the {censored} will hit the fan here by tomorrow afternoon, and by Friday the grocery stores will be mobbed. The experience of Gloria was exactly the kind where you need all kinds of stuff from the grocery store... prolonged power outage and big cleanup after.

It was more fun when I was a kid. Now it's kind of a huge pain in the ass. But I admit, there is still part of me that gets pretty excited. Probably the stupid, foolhardy part.

If it makes you feel any better, I`m getting slammed right before you. I`m not doing much to prepare except to make sure all my gear is high off the ground.

• Members

Yeah that's a thought. I should go move some gear around tomorrow and back up some files.

I am ready to go for food. I really hope it doesn't get to the point where I have to break out the Spaghetti-O's.

Still have to secure the canoe, kayak, garbage cans, lawn furniture, etc.

• Members

My house is a block away from the basin... my basement is already 4 feet below street level and thats where my studio is set up. Just from what I have heard on the news, the NYC area (NY Harbor, Brooklyn, Queens and parts of LI) are basically getting the brunt of this storm if it hangs out off the coast. Best case scenario... it goes over land turning "Irene" into a tropical storm.

I will most likely be at work Sunday at 2p when the storm is expected so I am taking care of moving everything (all my gear, books, etc...) onto higher ground tomorrow and Saturday. I`m also getting my wife and kids to either come with me or go to my folks place which is still in Brooklyn but at least its not sea level. Now they`re talking about winds in the 75-90 mph range...

Holding my breath...

• Members

Fortunately I have a three story house with a garage "crawl space" above the garage which is about 10` off the street level. I am literally taking the studio apart today and tomorrow. Thankfully its not all that much because of considerable downsizing over the last 6 years but still, not fun. All my gear will be put on the first floor hallway of my house and the books, CDs, etc... will go in the garage.

I`m preparing for the worst. Theres nothing I can do about a storm surge except to make sure my "stuff" is elevated and obviously my family is protected which at this point may be best if they go to my folks place or stay with me at work.

My biggest concern at this point besides the flooding are the high winds. I`m not sure what the roof on my house or my neighbors can handle and if that goes, well... I don`t want to think about it.

I just re-did my studio bathroom and it looks beautiful... but its also 4 feet below street level.

I`m looking on the bright side of things though... I start school again today and I patiently await my new iMac and Duet 2!

Stay tuned.

• Members

Well if it's any consolation...latest projections are that when Irene hits New York, you'll be looking at a category 1 or 2 storm. Still not fun, but category 3 is where it starts to get really interesting.

Yeah, I`m hoping more for a Category 1 or Tropical storm. The other thing I didn`t mention in my above posts is that my extended family owns a house on Cape Hatteras Island (Buxton to be exact) and the storm is coming in right there. We stay there every summer....

• Members

It doesnt have to hit directly to devistate the area. When we got hit in Houston a few years I was luckey to be maybe 30 miles from the eye on the westward side.

Still millions lost power and water for weeks. Hundreds of thousands were flooded and out on the barrier island entire communities were completely wiped off the map.

My byddy had a beach house on the island we used to jam at and it was just gone. nothing but a rod and rubble left. looked like a nuclear bomb hadhit

I had a gas jet in the fireplave I could cook on and had about 1/3 water pressure so I wasnt too bad off.

The heat was only in the upper 80's to 90 which was another saving grace. If it was 110 like its been lately

with no AC it gets deadly.

Main things that willhappen. No electric, Transportation shuts down from all the debris clogging roads,

They cant deliver gas cause all the ports are screwed, Gas stations cant pump it cause theres no electric.

You cant drive any place if you did have it. No communications, Cellphones shut down, If you're luckly like us

the land lines remain open, You have no internet or tv with no power, all you got is battery operated radio and

if you're luckey a portable TV, but it has to be digital now.

In 2005 when we got hit last we still had analog transmissions available. After a week or so, the media forgets about you

sitting there without any power and you have an absolute blackout on whats going on.

After a two weeks go by and the citizens clean up their neighborhoods of trees themselves so the trucks can get in to restore power,

Fema drags their asses into town to give away TV dinners and bags of ice. Of course you dont need it by then yet all the loosers

looking for free handouts will go stand in line anyway. Jeez, you wonder if the word shame exists any more. The stores

were opening back up again and none of those people needed that stuff by then.

I was luckey enough to have someone loan me a generator after about 2 weeks so I was able to cool the fridge power the TV

and computer for a week. I can tell you its no fun being sent back to the stone age, but it does make you reevaluate everything.

I grew up in NJ and we had many hurricanes growing up. My folks grew up on the Jersey Shore and had one of the only houses left standing

in lavalette. The ocean met the bay in several areas. Barrier islands can open up new inlets and close down others in storms like this.

People build homes on sand bard like that and they dont realize how weak the ground under them really is once its saturated.

Anyway, the storm may only be a cat 1 by the time it reaches Conneticut. I'm more worried abot some family in RI near the shore.

My one Son lives in Mass who should be ok. The others live in South Jersey which are likely to get pounded by a cat 2.

They are inland but have allot of trees in the pine barrons they will likely get up rooted.

Theres not much you can do about it but prepare an hope god spares you and your family

I suspect this storm will be one for the books. The heat and water temp is just too warm for it not to strike hard.

AND its only the beginning of the season. There may be alot more to come with these record temps happening in the south.

• Members

It doesnt have to hit directly to devistate the area. When we got hit in Houston a few years I was luckey to be maybe 30 miles from the eye on the westward side.

Still millions lost power and water for weeks. Hundreds of thousands were flooded and out on the barrier island entire communities were completely wiped off the map.

My byddy had a beach house on the island we used to jam at and it was just gone. nothing but a rod and rubble left. looked like a nuclear bomb hadhit

I had a gas jet in the fireplave I could cook on and had about 1/3 water pressure so I wasnt too bad off.

The heat was only in the upper 80's to 90 which was another saving grace. If it was 110 like its been lately

with no AC it gets deadly.

Main things that willhappen. No electric, Transportation shuts down from all the debris clogging roads,

They cant deliver gas cause all the ports are screwed, Gas stations cant pump it cause theres no electric.

You cant drive any place if you did have it. No communications, Cellphones shut down, If you're luckly like us

the land lines remain open, You have no internet or tv with no power, all you got is battery operated radio and

if you're luckey a portable TV, but it has to be digital now.

In 2005 when we got hit last we still had analog transmissions available. After a week or so, the media forgets about you

sitting there without any power and you have an absolute blackout on whats going on.

After a two weeks go by and the citizens clean up their neighborhoods of trees themselves so the trucks can get in to restore power,

Fema drags their asses into town to give away TV dinners and bags of ice. Of course you dont need it by then yet all the loosers

looking for free handouts will go stand in line anyway. Jeez, you wonder if the word shame exists any more. The stores

were opening back up again and none of those people needed that stuff by then.

I was luckey enough to have someone loan me a generator after about 2 weeks so I was able to cool the fridge power the TV

and computer for a week. I can tell you its no fun being sent back to the stone age, but it does make you reevaluate everything.

I grew up in NJ and we had many hurricanes growing up. My folks grew up on the Jersey Shore and had one of the only houses left standing

in lavalette. The ocean met the bay in several areas. Barrier islands can open up new inlets and close down others in storms like this.

People build homes on sand bard like that and they dont realize how weak the ground under them really is once its saturated.

Anyway, the storm may only be a cat 1 by the time it reaches Conneticut. I'm more worried abot some family in RI near the shore.

My one Son lives in Mass who should be ok. The others live in South Jersey which are likely to get pounded by a cat 2.

They are inland but have allot of trees in the pine barrons they will likely get up rooted.

Theres not much you can do about it but prepare an hope god spares you and your family

I suspect this storm will be one for the books. The heat and water temp is just too warm for it not to strike hard.

AND its only the beginning of the season. There may be alot more to come with these record temps happening in the south.

:thu:

:facepalm:

• Members

WRGMC...I beach buggy, Surf, Surf fish and Kayak Island Beach State Park right near Lavalette at least three times a week...had to cancel tis weekends trip for obvious reasons.

My ex- wife's family has a Beachfront home in Island Heights that has weathered every storm since the early sixties... 1990,the house directly next door had a gas leak and totally blew up to smithereens and all the damage done to the ex'x house was some roof damage and some storm shingles burned on the side...the next day their giant flag pole got hit by lightning on a beautiful sunny day and was totally obliterated.

Luck of the draw, I totally miss going down to that house...but I so totally don't miss the ex!:eek::cool:

• CMS Author

Remember...if you don't have a chain saw, find out who does. And watch for the power lines!!

I have a chain saw, but it's electric. ;)

I didn't really think about the panic today when I made a routine stop at the grocery store while I was out doing some errand. Sheesh! What a mob scene. The lines at the checkout counters were longer than Saturday afternoon before Super Bowl Sunday. Longer than the nigh before Thanksgiving.

I can live without that quart of milk.

• Members

WRGMC...I beach buggy, Surf, Surf fish and Kayak Island Beach State Park right near Lavalette at least three times a week...had to cancel tis weekends trip for obvious reasons.

My ex- wife's family has a Beachfront home in Island Heights that has weathered every storm since the early sixties... 1990,the house directly next door had a gas leak and totally blew up to smithereens and all the damage done to the ex'x house was some roof damage and some storm shingles burned on the side...the next day their giant flag pole got hit by lightning on a beautiful sunny day and was totally obliterated.

Luck of the draw, I totally miss going down to that house...but I so totally don't miss the ex!
:eek::cool:

I know the Island well. My uncle has a beach House in Seaside Park.

I had relatives all up and down the shore. My Grandfater was a telegraph operator

back in the early 1900s when there was only a train and dirt road. My father owned

a beach house and would go there summers and meet my mom before WWII

All us kids lived at the nbeach during the summer staying at the grandparents house.

They eventually built a Motel there in Lavallette called Homers Motel

They eventually sold it when my grandparents died.

I spent more than a few nights in that old beach home during north easterns and wouldnt want to

spend a hurricane there unless I was in that house. most of those houses along that strip are balsa wood.

I suspect this will be a lifetime event not seen in many decades and there will be millions of dollars worth

of damage with whole neighborhoods wiped out. This will end the summer season for tourists and put a

further damper on the economy there.

A few miles up the road in Mantaloking the strip is only a few blocks wide.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=15&xhr=t&q=mantoloking+nj&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1413&bih=746&wrapid=tljp1314392832791018&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c18336e663f787:0x69259f95aa577aaf,Mantoloking,+NJ&gl=us&ei=CAtYTrrLOsne0QH2-6ihDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAQ

I hope those people arent stupid enough to stay in those homes

I lived aboy 5 miles from Island Heights up Brookside Drive. Had family and friends there and swam at that beach when I was a kid.

The water wasnt that clean as a kid though. I cant imagine anyone swimming there today. I took my kids there to crab off the docks

the same way as my folks did. its where thay had the fireworks shows on the 4th of july as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cp=15&gs_id=8&xhr=t&q=island+heights+nj&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1413&bih=746&wrapid=tljp131438878515000&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c19c1fc586a705:0x64be9eeafab7932c,Island+Heights,+NJ&gl=us&ei=NvtXToKTC6rl0QGqqe2aDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQ8gEwAg

A littel further up the river off E Water St we used to jam in a second story building on a balcony, and have all the boats on the river come up to hear us jam.

It was across the street from another relatives house. The Petersons home was a famous house used in the Amnitiville Horror Movie.

They actually turned the house sidesways for the second movie to face the river. I spent many visits there and it was definately not haunted

like the sister house in up in NY state was supposed to be.

Thats whole area is on the main land and the Heights is on the Toms River/Barnagat Bay Inlet.

I think they will be in good shape. There will be flooding I suspect. If they were up the hill they would be OK

but the beach front homes are maybe 2" above sea level. All that will back up depending on the tudes and tidal surge.

When the winds come in off the ocean, Matasquan and Barnagat inlets can reverse direction and push the bay back all those rivers.

I saw all that kind of stuff as a kid. Ive even seen small creeks like brookside that empty into Toms River back up and overflow.

There used to be an inlet in Mantaloking which isnt wide at all, it can happen again. All those homes along there are in danger

so people who havent lived through a hurricane have no clue to what can happen.They should all hit the mainland before it hits.

Archived