What's with wordy rock music?

shades990

• Members

I understand the draw to obscure and vague lyrics and composition such as that of Tool -- they seem so profound when you're obliterated -- but what's with the Panic at the Disco-style lyrics in much of today's pop-punk and rock?

Do they want to be intellectual so badly that after the first line, they blow a vein and word soup starts spilling out? And when it's not a pamphlet's worth of fluffy prose, there's a OHHHWOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH hook. Or just OH, UH OHHHH, UH OH AY OH AY OH.

Whatever, I wore tight pants and owned a hair straightener and three pairs of vans about five years ago. What room do I have to complain? :rolleyes:

• Members

I think it's about how the song was written: Lyrics first or music first. Some songs are written as vehicles for the lyrics and some are written as vehicles for the music. There's no right or wrong, just whatever works.

• Members

I agree, this is what is wrong with everything Alanis has done since her first american album... I guess some people don't know how to tell a story without putting in every possible trivial detail.

kinda liked that line in 'you oughta know'... 'would you go down on him in a theater? ' 30 years ago,

I was the happy recipient of a 21 year old, almond eyed, olive skinned , (just kicked out of an upstate NY Boarding school )affections who was a summer Intern in my office at an afternoon matinee at a local Movie house...

It was her way of getting back at her parents, and my lucky day!

Archived