Anyone Using Solid-State Disk Drives for Recording Audio?

Anderton

• CMS Author

If you count the SD memory card in my handheld recorder as a solid state hard disk, sure. If someone were to give or lend me a solid state drive, I'd like to try it in my Mackie HDR24/96, but I haven't felt the urge to buy one for the Mackie recorder or for a computer.

• Members

I just read that the new Korg Kronos uses a solid state drive and you can record audio to it.

I imagine they're quite a bit faster, looking forward to the day when they become standard equipment. I don't currently have the time, or inclination, to be buying one and replacing a platter drive in any of my computers.

• Members

Physical size is the same. They range in price from maybe a $1.60 per gig?

A 60 gig is about $98, 128G $168

You can buy a regular 1 terabyte drive for $60 now.

The speed is the key. A solid state can can be randomly accessed because theres no spinning disk or moving heads

and therefore can handel broader bandwidth and be about twice the speed of a standard hard drive.

Other benifits are theres no noise, smaller size, less power needed, less heat generated, and the life expectancy.

Drawbacks are they are expensive, and they dont work with encrypted data unless you used special erasure tools.

Most popular SSD are based on MLC NAND flash memory and this type of memory cannot overwrite files, only write information to empty blocks or previously erased blocks.

The other item is lifespan. Most have a lifespan of 2,000,000 hours. After doing some research thats about 228 years.

They also have a limitation of many write cycles you can perform. Its about 40 years for a typical computer.

Audio does allot more read an writes, but even then, I doubt its going to be a big issue, especially if you have a separate OS and recording drive.

I may want to get one for my OS and use regular drives for my storage. This way the OS would fly and not interrupt the audio flow.

• Members

I've got two 64 gig SSD's, one for my Ivory II program, and one for my East West Symphonic Gold Complete program. I've also got Sonar X1 Essentials and Adobe CS 5.5 installed on the second SSD.

I haven't done much recording with them, but the programs load up quickly and work flawlessly. The recordings I have done comes out perfect. The biggest benefit is working with the sound sample programs, they load up very quickly.

I'm waiting for the prices to come down and then I'll get a larger one for my OS. The big draw is that they operate quietly. The only drawback is the price per gig.

• Members

Too expensive to even consider?

I spent $1,000 for my first 1 GB hard drive back in 1994--which would be nearly $1,500 in today's dollars--so in that regard, SSD drives aren't even remotely expensive.

That said, I'm in no hurry to spend money on the latest technological development when the VelociRaptor drives I currently have work fine.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Well a 240 gig ssd to replace my current 500gig standard drive would cost $599 at Newegg. That's more than I want to spend right now.

My two 64 gig drives cost around $90 each which wasn't too bad, but it isn't all that much gig wise.

• Members

sata drives are pretty cool these days what with lots of storage, dirt-low prices, reliability, millions of backup solutions. Load time is fine for me. Beats the heck out of floppies.

I'll get into ssd drives when motor-driven drives are finally history and ssd is down to current sata pricing.

By the way, there's always something new on the way. floppies, ide, sata, ssd. What's on the horizon for after flash memory?

• Members

I've been using a hybrid 500/4 gig drive - the Seagate Momentus XT. It's a 7200 rpm hard drive with a 4 gig solid state front end. It manages frequently accessed data from the SS portion. I have yet to use a full SSD but replacing the HD in my MacBookPro with the XT certain has extended battery life, make the mac boot much faster and I've had no issues with recording audio onto it.

• Members

I quit listening to those schmucks years ago. No matter what piece of equipment I would buy, somebody would jump up out of the blue and trash it, and would say I should have bought..._____ _____ cause that's what the real pro's use. Happens everytime !!!

Archived