Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

Anderton

• Members

Yeah, this certainly appears to be bad news about Jobs's health. I hope things go as well as possible for him.

In the short term at least, Apple seems to be in good hands with Tim Cook as CEO and Jobs as Chairman of the Board. Cook has kept the ship running smoothly during Jobs's past leaves of absence. But Jobs's vision will be missed once he's finally gone for good.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Yeah man, not good news. I hope he hangs in there and hopefully this is just a move that needs to be made from a business perspective, and not because his health is failing him fast. I just had two people I know well pass away. It seems to be getting to that time for me and those in my age group. I am afraid that some of the big names we have all followed in music, are going to start dropping like flies in the not too distant future.

Steve Jobs is still young though...... 56. That sucks he is so ill at that age....anyone for that matter.

Some stuff at the LA Times........

Though Apple has a deep reservoir of technological talent at its Cupertino, Calif., campus, investors have long worried that it could be impossible to replace Jobs' intuitive ability to anticipate tech trends and craft products that resonate with consumers.

I have wondered about this also in the past, after I heard about his cancer etc. As for right now he has been named Chairman Of The Board and as Woz said......

"He has this higher level of mind that he can see the future clearly in a way that few people can. That rubs off on people," said Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. "But Apple's a lot of people. And in the meantime, he'll still be there, still watching over it and within reach if needed."

I am not a money man...never had a lot of it either. I cannot imagine the level of Job's wealth. But you know what really pisses me off is how Wall St reacts to stuff like this........investors and the like.

Apple shares dropped in after-hours trading by nearly $20, or about 5%, immediately after the news broke.

WTF? Nothing has happened and people are {censored}ting their pants? It's pathetic.

Anyway....I have always had an immense amount of respect and admiration for Steve Jobs. In addition, I'm your typical Mac fanatic. I love Apple product.

Apple fanboy or not, this is distressing news about someone who changed the world.

Yup! He sure has.

I wish him well. Hopefully he has many years left in him Craig, but he is just unable to continue interacting with his peeps and driving the ship with the same level of energy and vitality as before.

Going from that to having your employees see you everyday, looking weak, pale, gaunt perhaps and just having a hard time in general, is not great for a company, no matter how fiercely loyal your employees are.

Not only that but it seems the smart thing to groom someone in advance to take the reins and keep the wagon rolling forward smoothly, if the future is uncertain as far as health issues.

This is what I hope anyway.

• Members

The man has pancreatic cancer he's had it for a while. I don't know if he's lucky or not having lived with it for that long.

I just got back from a funeral for a friend of mine of forty two years, who died due to pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed two and a half weeks ago and died in that short time frame. I don't know if he was lucky either but he's gone and my heart is still heavy. I wish Steve Jobs well, as he is still here and that seems to be important to him but this thing, this pancreatic cancer, is a death sentence. Not many make it through.

• Members

I thought it meant he "re signs", like signed again. But no, he isn't doing that is he.

No.

See i thought "yeah so what if he re signs, it's his company, why would he even have to sign anyway".

Big business eh, buncha work for nothin.

Then what, you get frikkin cancer.

Archived