Pro tools, constantly breaking up with apogee ????

chrisgil

• Members

im using an apogee symphony with an apogee 64 card.

When I go lower than 512 buffer size, because the latency is unworkable otherwise, the audio crackles and breaks up constantly,

making sounds like the sample rates out of sync etc..

Could someone run me through a load of settings to try and get it sorted.

Ive just got a whole new apogee system and the problems are still there

Im on an 8 core, 16gb ram mac pro, so that should be fine.

Im new to pro tools so please explain as simply as possible

thanks all

ps its the latest version of pro tools

• Members

Is it to do with pro tools still being 32bit, therfore only able to use 4gb ram ( i think it is) ?

It cant be the symphony, and it shouldnt be my machine, unless theres something wrong with it.

Ive had a lot of issues with gear f(*king up. Just sent the SSD drive back to be replaced because that was knackered.

• Members

I don't know what the issue would be either. I do use a Mac Pro 1,1 (probably a four year old Mac) with Pro Tools 9, but with an Apogee Rosetta 800, and can typically get about 128 samples, sometimes 64 if I don't have too many plugins. And if I don't get it, it doesn't crackle; it just simply stops and gives me the typical protesting dialogue box.

• Members

Consider testing the hard drive transfer rate. My old PC was having this problem; it was spooling data so slow that the audio would break up. (Since it was pretty old, I solved the problem with a new PC.)

This one works for Windows; I confess I'm not familiar with the Apogee system... It is a stand-alone DAW, or running on a Mac or what?

Here is some more info.

• Members

What OS are you running?

Welcome to Apogee Electronics Support

IMPORTANT MESSAGE Regarding Mac OS X Lion - Wait to update if your Apogee product is not compatible

Many Apogee products are compatible with Lion now, with complete compatibility or a beta software available. See the Apogee compatibility chart for details.

Apogee engineering is working diligently to test and update software for other products. If uninterrupted operation of your studio is critical, please wait for an official Lion OS compatibility message from Apogee. This will be posted on our website and sent by email to all registered users. Other products schedule for Lion compatibility are:

Duet, Ensemble and Symphony 64 with X-Series and Rosetta Series converters

IMPORTANT MESSAGE Regarding Symphony 32 compatibility with Mac OS 10.6.8

Apogee Engineering has discovered an incompatibility between the Symphony 32 PCIe card and Mac OS X 10.6.8. To work around this issue, we recommend that Symphony 32 users remain on Mac OS X 10.6.7 or below. All other current Apogee products are fully compatible with Mac OS 10.6.8

http://www.avid.com/US/support/find-support/champion/Pro-Tools

http://www.avid.com/US/support

• Members

I don't know what personal experience you have had with Avid, but in my own experience I disagree Elmertfudd. I have been a Pro Tools user since the beginning of PT5 and the Digidesign 001 and now through Avid and personally my experience has been totally acceptable...even good in the case of my Eleven Rack.

I was getting weird intermittent noise bursts, on a consistent ongoing basis, with my Eleven Rack and after about 3 months of extensive troubleshooting on my part including unwiring my entire studio down to just the Eleven Rack and my monitors, I finally filled in a support ticket. After trying a bunch of suggestions from them, Avid sent me a new one, postage paid and paid for the return also. They held on to mine while I tested the new one. The problem was still there.

Unfortunately I was so brain {censored}ed by this whole thing that I did some further troubleshooting stuff that I did not take note of what and when. In the end I THINK it was a faulty florescent light fixture. All I know is that at some point after getting rid of it, the intermittent problem never came back.

I let Avid support know this and also asked for my original 11R back and they shipped it no problem, again paying for all the postage and never ONCE giving me any attitude.

I think the whole "Avid has crap support" thing is a fallacy. While I am sure some people may have legitimate complaints about support, I do not believe for a second that they are in a majority and one does not hear of the 1000's of satisfied or happy customers.

I'm not suggesting you are doing this because all you said was they "makes you jump through LOTS of hoops".....but I think some people read the complaints and whining and sniveling on the Avid/DUC forums about how Pro Tools sucks or Avid/Digi support sucks, and take it thereafter as they do indeed suck. Some of them without having any personal experience with it.

But then again.......I do know there are people, who I think are sincere, who claim they had really bad results with them and it seems legit.

As for the hoops.......I do think all tech support or CS has to try separate the legit complaints and instances that will genuinely need to go up a level or two.......from all the calls or E mails from people who just do not know the system or software........ or who are not staying current with updates and technical bulletins.....easy fixes or known issues for which a fix is imminent but not yet available.

• Members

its the latest osx 6..0.8 or whatever it is.

So does this apply to you then?

IMPORTANT MESSAGE Regarding Symphony 32 compatibility with Mac OS 10.6.8

Apogee Engineering has discovered an incompatibility between the Symphony 32 PCIe card and Mac OS X 10.6.8. To work around this issue, we recommend that Symphony 32 users remain on Mac OS X 10.6.7 or below. All other current Apogee products are fully compatible with Mac OS 10.6.8

• Members

Okay. Have you done ALL the Pro Tools troubleshooting steps and system optimization? Turn off Bluetooth, Airport, disable Spotlight etc etc etc?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54888

Video's:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5FEC1AEC94DB22D6

Most of the time, problems can be traced back to incompatible 3rd party plug in's:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=343311

Good luck.

• Members

I'm looking at your plug in's.....I have Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, a bunch of East West PLAY libraries, Slate, ToonTrack and they run well. IKMultimedia have got some dodgy one's that are not supported like Miroslav, Sonik Synth, CSR.... go through them all.

If you are in doubt you can create a folder called Suspect Plugs or something........ and drag the plug in's you are not sure about, into that........out of the plug in's folder at Apps>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Plug In's Alias.

Then if the problem stops....start adding them back one at a time and see if it comes back on a certain plug in.

Sorry if you already know this....

Like the guitar tones. Axe FX huh? Good stuff!

Archived