Does Anyone Have Plans for a Good Ark?

MikeRivers

• Moderators

I don't. But if you do locate those plans, you might do well to make the proper conversions:

1 cubit = 45.72 centimeters

6 palms = 24 digits, i.e. ~45.0 cm or 18 inches (1.50 ft)

7 palms = 28 digits, i.e. ~52.5 cm or 21 inches (1.75 ft)

8 palms = 32 digits, i.e. ~60.0 cm or 24 inches (2.00 ft)

9 palms = 36 digits, i.e. ~67.5 cm or 27 inches (2.25 ft)

• Members

We've had rain, rain, and more rain, about 15 inches in the last three days. My basement has flooded twice and I have four buckets catching drips from the ceiling.

Where's a good earthquake when you need one? Too much water gets too old too quickly.

witchya on that one Mike...had to evacuate (again) yesterday afternoon...but my house dodged the bullet again...just got back from picking up the Jeep and BMW from the Golf Course parking lot on high ground...

I have a slight leak around one of the chimnies...it's a slate roof so I have to wait a few days for the Slate guy to come from the NJ Shore area...Looks like a slate shingle or two got tossed up during Irene...

I'd get up there myself, but the roof pitch is pretty steep there and slate is really slippery when wet.

Keep your spirits up podnah!:wave:

• Members

Same for me in coastal NY State (along the Long Island Sound). Thought Irene was the worst of it, but Tropical Storm Lee came through with an encore. Flooded basement, closed roads, trips to Home Depot, all-around hassle.

I'm looking into getting a 5,500W generator and a Transfer Switch. If my sump pumps fail b/c of a power outage, I'm toast.

• CMS Author

What was all that scientific talk I remember from the 1980's about possibly "seeding" clouds with some silver derivative (silver halide? silver nitrate?) in order to artificially induce it to rain?

The Native Americans do it better with drums. We used to kid about not wanting Indian dance groups at folk festivals (which mostly are outside) because they brought the rain, but it seemed that it did rain at more festivals where there were drums'n'feathers.

• Members

Hi Mike and Ras,

I feel for you guys. The month of August was all rain for us here in NYC, I think we had 4-5 days that were sun. Then you`ve got Texas... completely in need of water.

I don`t want to get into politics here but you can`t tell me the crazy weather has nothing to do with global warming...

Then you`ve got earthquakes and tornadoes in NY. Its really crazy.

EB

• Members

Same for me in coastal NY State (along the Long Island Sound). Thought Irene was the worst of it, but Tropical Storm Lee came through with an encore. Flooded basement, closed roads, trips to Home Depot, all-around hassle.

I'm looking into getting a 5,500W generator and a Transfer Switch. If my sump pumps fail b/c of a power outage, I'm toast.

At Home Depot today I was looking at battery backup sump pumps, not expensive at all. Get one. I'm about 15 minutes from destruction upstate NY. I'm at 400 feet so was spared flooding.

• Members

I don't. But if you do locate those plans, you might do well to make the proper conversions:

1 cubit = 45.72 centimeters

6 palms = 24 digits, i.e. ~45.0 cm or 18 inches (1.50 ft)

7 palms = 28 digits, i.e. ~52.5 cm or 21 inches (1.75 ft)

8 palms = 32 digits, i.e. ~60.0 cm or 24 inches (2.00 ft)

9 palms = 36 digits, i.e. ~67.5 cm or 27 inches (2.25 ft)

[video=youtube;n0KHt8xrQkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KHt8xrQkk

• Moderators

Can you imagine how it looks when the Texas wealthy--- during this very summer--- are seen digging swimming pools, doing elaborate landscaping?

I get some sharp comments for my green yard when almost all the others in my neighborhood are dead. :eek:

The way I look at it is this is an anomalous year, and it's worth investing some money to keep my trees and shrubs alive (runs me about $200/month for water) vs replanting it all. I've even cut and dug a firebreak between the woods and our house, and we water the woods directly behind our house to keep those trees alive if possible.

Terry D.

• Members

re: Terry's post #17

I have the Delaware and Raritan Canal built in 1830 across the street from me...It was breached about 10 miles upriver near Lambertville during dear Irene's visit.

It WAS a beautiful waterway chock full of fish, turtles and other aquatic life, A Beaver Lodge,

Ducks, Geese, swans, a plethora of water plants...now it's a big fetid mudhole with hordes of breeding mosquitoes and Gnats...The only thing profiting from this are the Blue Herons who are gorging themselves on the easy pickings left in the small pools.

It's gonna take about six months or so to repair the damage.

Luckily the breach was in an uninhabited area and the water just poured into the River...it did take a portion of the River Road out, a major travel artery between the River towns.

• Moderators

re: Terry's post #17

I have the Delaware and Raritan Canal built in 1830 across the street from me...It was breached about 10 miles upriver near Lambertville during dear Irene's visit..

Perhaps if this insane new weather pattern is to continue, we need to embark on a truly epic scale of infrastructure construction and build some huge, actively managed canal systems linking the wet states with the dry - maybe even underground canals. It would certainly employ a lot of people and would result in trillions of dollars in benefit to agriculture over the coming decades. :)

Terry D.

Archived