What would you do?

Jeff da Weasel

• Members

You're 2/3 of the way finished re-stringing your best guitar (which you've just meticulously cleaned), but you're really hungry. Someone knocks at the door. It's a pizza delivery guy with two delicious, steaming hot pies ready to be consumed. Obviously, you don't want to be smearing grease and sauce over your freshly-clean #1 axe.

Do you continue stringing the instrument while your pizza grows sad and cold on the kitchen counter, or do you blow off the remainder of your string replacement and dig in?

Hmm...

pizzaftw.jpg

• Members

eat the {censored}ing pizza, string yer fn geetar, and stfu about it.

I mean really, never re-strung an axe before? It's not like a sniper waiting for the perfect shot, you can always come back to it. If you need to be onstage in 5 minutes maybe restring and then eat the pizza (on stage) but other than that I wish I had some of wahtever is FN with your mind tonight

and if it's the acidic tomato sauce that has you concerned just wash yer FN hands

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Moderators

Restringing requires an almost zen approach. Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hahn speaks of the beauty of washing the dishes. Why race through it. Why not enjoy the act of washing the dishes. These or your utensils for feeding yourself. Enjoy all of the process. Even the cleaning up.

And that requires not being hungry or distracted. Pizza>Wash>Restring

• Members

Hopefully the pizza didn't get cold while you were waiting for advice on what to do.

Oh, hell no. I scarfed down two big slices of that pizza within milliseconds of its arrival. Then I thoroughly de-greased myself, and put the 4th (D) and 1st (E) string on, and then played awhile. Then ate more.

• Members

And, may I add, it was a particularly good restringing. My winds were nice and even. The bridge pins stayed anchored like mighty buttresses. No false start, "I didn't leave enough slack" moments. And my Martin sounds like a cannon again. The only negative to this entire process is that I'm officially out of strings, and with the amount I play I need to restring that puppy every 2-3 weeks, so it's time to stock up again. I think the 10-packs are probably the most economical way to go.

• Moderators

And, may I add, it was a particularly good restringing. My winds were nice and even. The bridge pins stayed anchored like mighty buttresses. No false start, "I didn't leave enough slack" moments. And my Martin sounds like a cannon again. The only negative to this entire process is that I'm officially out of strings, and with the amount I play I need to restring that puppy every 2-3 weeks, so it's time to stock up again. I think the 10-packs are probably the most economical way to go.

Grease, or cheese juice as I like to call it. You inadvertently got some in your nut. It's magic stuff.

• Members

Grease, or cheese juice as I like to call it. You inadvertently got some in your nut. It's magic stuff.

Please, no more public references to my greasy nut, sir.

Speaking of which, I have open-gear tuning machines on the Martin. They're cool and vintage and all, but every six months or so, a tiny dab of Vaseline

• Members

Have you tried Elixer Nanowebs? I have non-corrosive hands, so strings last longer for me than for anyone else I know who plays as much. But the Elixers last 4 times longer, maybe more. YMMV but they're worth a try. (I also recently tried the Dean Markley coated strings, but they made a lot more finger noise -- it was awful!)

• Members

I simply can't restring on an empty stomach, especially when there's wafts of pizza to remind me of how empty it really is.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't agree with this.

Look at how clean and shiny this baby is. If I didn't have to freakin WORK for another 5-6 hours, I'd be playing this instead for the remainder of the day.

newstrings_090211.jpg

• Members

You're 2/3 of the way finished re-stringing your best guitar (which you've just meticulously cleaned), but you're really hungry. Someone knocks at the door. It's a pizza delivery guy with two delicious, steaming hot pies ready to be consumed. Obviously, you don't want to be smearing grease and sauce over your freshly-clean #1 axe.

Do you continue stringing the instrument while your pizza grows sad and cold on the kitchen counter, or do you blow off the remainder of your string replacement and dig in?

Hmm...

I'm confused by this post. Exactly what album, video, scent, or new line of clothes is this promoting?! :/

Archived