How Much Does A Band Make From Various Music Platforms?

the stranger

• CMS Author

And if you're actually making any money, you can respond to this survey from the Future Music Coalition and American Federation of Musicians:

The Future of Music Coalition (FMC), in collaboration with the American Federation of Musicians of the United States (AFM), is conducting an unprecedented, large-scale survey on U.S. musicians' income.

As a musician who has supported our campaign to establish reasonable carryon rules on airlines, we hope that you'll participate in this important work. It's imperative that all the numerous and diverse voices of musicians be heard. The survey will help us all understand the trends developing in today's music industry.

The anonymous online survey, called "How Do You Make Money from Music?", is for US-based musicians and composers of all types. Thousands of musicians will complete the survey, which is open now through October 28 and takes as little as ten minutes to complete.

The Survey Link

The survey is just one part of the FMC's Artists Revenue Streams Project. Through November 2011, the FMC will also be interviewing musicians, songwriters, and composers personally to collect more detailed information about the ways they are generating income from music. The interviews are done via phone or Skype, and take about an hour. There is a small stipend for interviewees to compensate them for their time. If you're interested in participating, you can apply here.

• Members

GREAT thread. The only thing I don't like about it is that it was posted too late for me to include it in Forum Watch for this week's newsletter. But you can bet it will be in the next issue.

So how do musicians make money while making music?

Whistle a tune while robbing a bank :)

I like your sig, too.

• Members

I'm just glad I stumbled into the coolest forum on the net. I can't believe it's been well over a decade! I literally am amazed everyday when I get on the internet. You just could never imagine such things before. Human imagination took a giant leap when they turned on the internet. :thu:

Yeah, I'm easily amused...but still...:)

One thing I found really interesting was the vinyl numbers. I've said for a while now that if the industry wants to save physical media (which it appears they don't), they need to bring back vinyl. Bring back full lengths and 45s. Jukeboxes, record stores...just imagine the possibilities.

And most importantly, it's physical media. Physical media equals sales. Digital media equals promotion. The cat's out of the bag on digital.

Records are cool. They sell themselves. And they aren't going anywhere. Might as well just ramp back up production. And what exactly would the record company have to lose by trying? And the "retro" value? This is so obvious to me, but I'm no marketing professional, so maybe I'm wrong. I've been a music fan for years and spent a significant chunk of my life's earnings on music...so that's my only real qualification other than thinking artists are getting the shaft. ;)

One other thing I wonder is how much does a band get if the radio plays their song? Is a band/artist getting a comparable rate from the streaming sites, such as spotify/etc?

Archived