iPad users... typing?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

So...

...just how awkward is typing on that touch screen?

I'd like to move to an iPad to be able to combine my eReading with my mobile computing. And I write. Every time I try to type for just a minute in the store, it feels pretty awkward. I'm a caveman typist. Clunk-clunk-clack... bksp-bksp-bksp-bksp... click... Clunk clunk clunk. So...

...once you're used to it...

...just how awkward is typing on that touch screen?

• Members

I look forward to the answers because I have the same issue on those. I have large hands and that is a concern.

When I tried an iPad in the store, I felt like I could type quite well on it. When I tried anything smaller than an iPad (I don't remember, I think I tried a Blackberry 7" and some other tablets), I consistently could not type correctly on it.

Something like this bluetooth wireless keyboard might be a good way to go as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SHC16W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003JIQA36&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06M44T42JXDVS9RFS8WR

• Members

Yeah, if you intend to do a lot of typing I'd probably go for the add-on Bluetooth keyboard that comes in an iPad case. I do a decent amount of typing on the iPad, and it's not bad at all really. I have a cover that allows you to set it at a tilted angle so it's more comfortable. Honestly I haven't tried to use it much in situations where I want to do some serious typing, because I do have a laptop. I imagine I could get quite fast on it if I did it more often, but like anything new, it takes some getting used to. What's really funny is that I'm of course used to typing on a keyboard, and I'm somewhat used to typing on an iPhone with my thumbs. I find myself trying to do that on the iPad sometimes if I'm doing something like lying in bed or somewhere else that I can't set it on a flat surface. I have to hold it up and try to type, so I use my thumbs, and it's a bit large for that. :D

But yeah, nice to have a keyboard when you need it, and be able to ditch it when you don't. 90% of what I use the iPad for doesn't require much typing if any and it is nice to just pull it out without having to set it down anywhere.

• Members
Agreed. But at least many come with a folding case that encloses/protests the iPad, so it's not too awful.

Let's see... keyboard, check; protective case, check; easel, check; camera, check; earphones, check; USB adapter, check. OK... I think we've got this thing just about ready for mobile use. Why, it's almost as good as a netbook. ;)

• Moderators

Let's see... keyboard, check; protective case, check; easel, check; camera, check; earphones, check; USB adapter, check. OK... I think we've got this thing just about ready for mobile use. Why, it's almost as good as a netbook.
;)

Well... yeah... :) but you know, at first I was, iPad, whatever. My buddy showed me his and I was, eh. But I'm a convert. They're light. Very light. The OS has a very tactile feel to it. It sort of bounces to your command in that Apply way.

So I stopped by the Apple store today and checked out the bluetooth keyboard and case. Wow, pretty slick. It really is very well integrated.

• Members

Let's see... keyboard, check; protective case, check; easel, check; camera, check; earphones, check; USB adapter, check. OK... I think we've got this thing just about ready for mobile use. Why, it's almost as good as a netbook.
;)

Oh, come on. The iPad 2 has a camera, and you can get a keyboard that's integrated into the case, so you don't need a separate case or easel. And you'd have to take earphones with a netbook too.

And I won't bother elucidating all the stuff you can do with an iPad that are a lot more awkward on a computer, if not impossible. We get it, you don't like tablets and you don't like Apple, but geez.

• Members

So I stopped by the Apple store today and checked out the bluetooth keyboard and case. Wow, pretty slick. It really is very well integrated.

Yeah, it is nice. I don't have one, but it's something I'd consider, since I've gotten pretty used to just grabbing the iPad and taking it wherever.

• Members

Oh, come on. The iPad 2 has a camera, and you can get a keyboard that's integrated into the case, so you don't need a separate case or easel. And you'd have to take earphones with a netbook too.

And I won't bother elucidating all the stuff you can do with an iPad that are a lot
more
awkward on a computer, if not impossible. We get it, you don't like tablets and you don't like Apple, but geez.

I'd say I'm skeptical about tablets. And I do have mixed feelings about Apple.

But I'll definitely and unequivocally say I'm sorry to see Steve Jobs go. I have extraordinary respect for his business savvy and vision. I may not like some aspects of Apple's practice, but the reinvention of the company under Jobs was utterly breathtaking in its scope and execution.

• Members

Well, for some, netbooks are a better choice.

The reason I'm interested in the iPad is largely due to photography (that'd be viewing, backing up, and manipulating photos, not using the iPad's camera), not emailing. iPads seem to do quite a bit as well, and seem to make a decent reader, which would be another interest of mine. I'll probably get one in a few months. Waiting to see how the tablet thing with Kindle shakes out next month when they announce their Kindle tablet thingy. And just trying to save money too.

• Members

I'd say I'm
skeptical
about tablets.

Well, that's fine if you are, but I don't see the point of bringing it up in every thread about tablets. Many people really like them, and if they don't see the point of having one for themselves, then they just don't buy one. :idk:

I have mixed feelings about Apple too. But I really like my iPhone and iPad. So sue me.

• Members

The reason I'm interested in the iPad is largely due to photography (that'd be viewing, backing up, and manipulating photos, not using the iPad's camera), not emailing.

I don't know anything about it obviously, but I understand there are some "add-ons" for the iPad that you can use with Photoshop, like for "mixing" colors and other fun stuff like that. My dad is a photography buff and he uses it for that.

And yeah, I like reading on it. An unexpected bonus is reading technical manuals. Those things get outdated so quickly, and I really hate reading PDFs on a computer. But I can save manuals to my iBooks library or the Good Reader app, and read them on the iPad.

• Members

There's a lot of photo editing apps and associated things for photos. With a big beautiful vibrant screen like that, you're gonna be sure that photographers are gonna be using the iPad, adn these apps have taken full advantage of that.

Your suggestion of reading tech manuals is a good one.

Finally, as I'd use the iPad for traveling, lightening my backpack of 2-3 books would be a wonderful thing. And watching a couple of movies on the airplane would also be a bonus. These reasons aren't the main reason I would get an iPad, but they sweeten the deal.

• Members

Do you use Pages? What is the preferred Word compatible WP app?

Well, I had QuickOffice on the iPhone, so I continued using that on the iPad. I haven't tried Pages. It looks really cool, whereas QuickOffice is kinda boring aesthetically, but I have to use it for work so Word and Excel compatibility is important... and Pages apparently has a lot of non compatible stuff. Which you may or may not care about. Pages does look really beautiful and like it'd be fun to work with, but for basic word processing, I'm just using QuickOffice. Most reviews of word processors seem to be a toss up between those two.

• Members

;)

I already had a netbook, but I picked up a Viewsonic G Tablet because there is one thing the tablets are able to do that netbooks and laptops can't, which is display text in portrait mode on the screen. My hope is to ultimately replace my bulky loose-leaf notebooks full of lyrics and chord charts with a tablet PC on the music stand (only in rehearsal, of course).

Some of the reasons I chose the Viewsonic G are that it has an HDMI and USB port onboard, and also a larger 10.1" screen. I got a case for it with a USB keyboard, so I can use that for easier typing. Another reason is you can get it now for as low as $240.

• Members

I think they need a feature where if you're having rhythm issues it hisses, "Tempo! Tempo!" in the voice of your 4th grade piano teacher.

(Mind you, I didn't have a 4th grade piano teacher as I'd been certified as having no musical talent whatsoever. But... you know, I've seen the movies.)

• Members

I DEFINITELY think this is the best keyboard available for the iPad, far better than Apple's.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+Keyboard+Case+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23174%3B+2/2678393.p?id=1218343867509&skuId=2678393&st=logitech%20ipad%20keyboard&cp=1&lp=3

Recharges with a standard micro USB plug, super light but tough, acts as a smart cover for the iPad, and, when shut with the iPad is only about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Replaced my mini-notebook as my main adjunct to my work computer.

• Members

;)

:thu: Yup, another reason not to get an iPad or any tablet. I just don`t get it. All this crap you have to carry around..

I went back to school this September and can`t imagine how people learn anything. The other day this kid is texting on his iPhone and surfing the web during a lecture. :confused:

However, there is one woman who has the textbook on her iPad. For that reason alone, I might actually consider a nook or something similar. My textbook weights around 3 lbs which doesn`t sound like a lot but when add notebooks and other books, it starts to feel like a workout.

• Members

:thu:
Yup, another reason not to get an iPad or any tablet. I just don`t get it. All this crap you have to carry around..

I went back to school this September and can`t imagine how people learn anything. The other day this kid is texting on his iPhone and surfing the web during a lecture.
:confused:

However, there is one woman who has the textbook on her iPad. For that reason alone, I might actually consider a nook or something similar. My textbook weights around 3 lbs which doesn`t sound like a lot but when add notebooks and other books, it starts to feel like a workout.

I can only think of two things you need to carry: 1) the Logitech Zagg keyboard that becomes the cover, and, when on the iPad, the whole package is less than 3/4" thick. The cover only weighs a couple of ounces more than SmartCover. 2) earphone, either with or without a mike.

IOW, you probably ALREADY carry earphones for your iPhone. The Zagg becomes the cover. That's it. The ONLY thing is you have to determine if you need to carry the charger, too.

I'm no Apple fan, but I reluctantly have found the iPad is much more usable than I expected.

• Members

Yeah, it is kind of bizarre that anyone thinks you "have to carry all this crap around." I find it zero trouble to carry the iPad around - it's much easier to carry and use on the go than any laptop, that's for sure. I already carry a pair of earbuds in my purse all the time anyway. And unless I'm on a long trip, I don't need the charger - there's a 10 hour battery life (apparently - I've never even come close to running the battery down). That's it - I don't even think twice about grabbing it and sticking it in the glove compartment when I'm going anywhere, and I'm sure I wouldn't if I got one of those covers with a built in keyboard, either. There's nothing to pack up or plug in, and you don't even have to turn it on when you need it. It's as easy as carrying a small paper notepad around. :idk:

• Members

I can only think of two things you need to carry: 1) the Logitech Zagg keyboard that becomes the cover, and, when on the iPad, the whole package is less than 3/4" thick. The cover only weighs a couple of ounces more than SmartCover. 2) earphone, either with or without a mike.

IOW, you probably ALREADY carry earphones for your iPhone. The Zagg becomes the cover. That's it. The ONLY thing is you have to determine if you need to carry the charger, too.

I'm no Apple fan, but I reluctantly have found the iPad is much more usable than I expected.

You`re talking to someone who has a stupid phone (its not a smart phone so I guess its stupid) with the flip cover. My iPod is from 2006. I hardly use it. I don`t think the iPad is a bad thing, I just don`t think I need it. It would be nice to have my books on there but again, its not a necessity. That goes for lots of these gadgets and apps... we`ve reached a point with technology where we are just inventing things because it would be cool, not necessary. In my little world, I find the entire thing pointless.

If and when the day comes where I can run all my audio programs off an iPad, I may be on line at the Apple store. :love:

Archived