The economics of music labels

philbo

• Members

A very enlightening article regarding how the vast majority of musicians get nothing for their work when signed to a label.

I have bought CDs only from the artist starting late last year. (Prior to that I sometimes also bought from used CD stores.) This article explains why it is the right thing to do...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100712/23482610186.shtml

So... call you really call stealing from thieves 'pirating'?

I don't do it, but I certainly understand it...

• Members

I've been saying for years that the music biz is basically set up in such a way that everyone makes a living -- except the overwhelming majority of the musicians -- who are often lucky to get gas and pizza money. Unless they're dumb enough to put the gas and pizza money toward 'furthering their career'... :freak:

It's one of the reasons I got out of the biz.

I still make music. I still record. But, aside from the tools I use to create the music and the recordings, I don't pay to make and then give away music.

And I encourage others to do the same. Or not do the same, however that works.

I've watched way too many 3DW friends and acquaintances get sucked up, chewed for a while, and then spit out by the music biz.

More than a few of them were extraordinarily talented, charismatic performers who were able to mesmerize large crowds at show after show.

But then, after getting sucked dry by the music business as it exists and has existed for at least a half century, they were left with little but debt, broken promises, and a few ground down dreams. And way too many of them were too bitter to even keep on making music -- and that is a true shame.

• Members

I have bought CDs
only
from the artist starting late last year. (Prior to that I sometimes also bought from used CD stores.) This article explains why it is the right thing to do...

You mentioned that once before, and I applaud that attitude. I also buy CDs from the "artist's table" because at least I know where the money's going.

Also, all things being equal, I'll patronize stores that have musicians or other artists working there as opposed to ones that don't.

• Members

You mentioned that once before, and I applaud that attitude. I also buy CDs from the "artist's table" because at least I know where the money's going.

Also, all things being equal, I'll patronize stores that have musicians or other artists working there as opposed to ones that don't.

sigh... I get I'm getting repetitive in my old age.. :facepalm:

Archived