ACL Festival Report

nat whilk II

• Members

Just reporting happiness, here.

Just got back from the last day of the Austin City Limits Festival - got to see two of my absolute idols - Stevie Wonder and Randy Newman. I've been to a lot of ACL festivals, and I've never seen any performer get the crowd as loose, happy, and dancing around as Stevie did. All ages, too, which was very heart-warming to see. Stevie did a little preachin' too - all about love and brotherhood, straight out of the 60s and it sounds radical all over again now in the post-911 polarized/partisan era.

Randy Newman - at probably the smallest stage so it was easy to get right close up, just him and the Steinway. What can I say? - he, like Stevie, goes way back into my childhood - the Turtles singing You And Me, and through the turmoil of the 60s with Newman's angry, humorous, humane tunes, and then on through my kids growing up with You've Got A Friend In Me and the great movie scores - such a quintessential American pop++ genius, including the fierce sarcasm he's always leveled against racism and other bigotries. I teared up, no joke.

Other most notable events: Elbow was beautiful - Allison Krause and Union Station flawless as always (Jerry Douglas, et al) - Fleet Foxes were haunting and refreshing - and I was listening to Arcade Fire doing Keep The Car Running (a cool tune) as I exited. Lots of others, but these were the highlights for me.

It was a good year this year. Even the weather, which has been absolute hell all summer, cooperated with lower temps, clouds, and a bit of rain.

:thu::):thu::)

nat whilk ii

Archived