How much is enough?

WRGKMC

• CMS Author

I got a press release for a company that was making a woofer that would put out an unrealistically high SPL. I stopped by their booth at CES mostly to find out how they measured SPL in one of those boom buggies. The guy I talked to was really on the ball and I learned a lot about stuff that I didn't really want to know about. He pointed me to a fully outfitted truck a couple of booths away that measured those sort of levels so I went over to take a look at it.

No problems with the body flexing or the windows blowing out - it was a former armored money delivery truck. I think there are some photos of it in the CES report on my web site.

• Members

Ever hear one of these drive by?

selenium_car_pics_3.jpg

selenium_car_pics.jpg

You could park one on either side of a stage as a PA

Apologies in advance on this one... the subject turns out to be apparently mythical, but what interested me were the effects and sensations that were experienced. (Bolded at the end.)

The
brown note
is a theoretical
infrasonic
frequency that would cause
humans
to lose control of their
bowels
due to
resonance
. There is no
scientific
evidence
to support the claim that a "brown note" (transmitted through sound waves in air) exists.

[...]

Frequencies supposedly involved are between 5 and 9
Hz
, which is below 20 Hz, the lower frequency limit of human hearing. High power sound waves below 20 Hz are felt in the body, not heard by the ear as sound. The only other vibrations titled with colors are the
colors of noise
and
blue notes

MythBusters
used twelve
Meyer Sound
700-HP
subwoofers

• Members

I used to have all kinds of guitar speakers and horns in my first station wagon as a kid back in the 70s. The power boosters

for 8 tracks back then were pretty lame. Thay took the speaker output from the 8 track and supposively boosted it.

I had lost interest by the time they started coming out with some decent power amps at a decent cost.

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

The reason that last bit really hit home with me is because when I'm subjected to super loud low frequencies -- like when a "boom truck" decides to show off its stuff next to me at a light or while I'm sitting outside my favorite coffee house and one is waiting at the light cooking the intersection with its whumping thud -- it makes me want to physically attack the source. I mean, I become nearly irrational.

Ala the "Twinkie Defense" :lol::lol:

• Members

If each band member had one it might make for some cool mobile partying. Get an effects unit/preamp and plug straight into the power amp.

The drummer could run midi drums, the guitar, bass, and keys could plug stright into their vehicles.

Just park them in a line or a circle facing each other. Something like that would have been a blessing when I used to rock the

Jersey Shore back in the 70s. We used to do some gigs with generators but those were pretty noisy.

When the cops came you could just stick the guitar in the back and close the hatch back. The cops would be looking around for a band.

I'd play on the beach like that and once a cop would tell us to turn down we'd get a carravan and pack everything up and

haul it to another beach a few miles away. When cops were called out again they wound up going to the wrong house.

What a hoot. We did drive the cops nuts back then, but in general, the whole town showed up and we rarely had any problems.

Dems were the days. Now you'd have to get all kinds of permits and jump through hoops to do what we did.

Archived