when higher education and guitars collide

• Members

some of you may know me from other HC forums, but i rarely post here. so hi everybody.

given our lovely economic climate, and my desire for a career change, i have decided to go back to school at age 34. i'm enrolled in the operations management program at Baruch College. below is an assignment i was given in my intro to business class:

"Write a 2 page summary and analysis of a significant event in the business world that occured within the past 2 months. Describe the event itself and the context in which it occurred (i.e. What's the situation from a bigger picture perspective? Did other events lead up to this event?) Give an analysis of what this event might mean for the company, the industry, the economy, etc."

i chose the Gibson raid. here's my Final Draft. i'm happy to take any comments you might have. i found the threads in this forum very helpful on the subject, especially the posts with linked articles. thanks for reading.

--

On August 24, the Nashville based Gibson Guitar Corporation was raided by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Interior. Armed federal agents shut down the factory and evacuated employees. They confiscated wood used to build instruments, finished instruments, and computers. But Fish & Wildlife have left Gibson, and the music community, puzzled by not answering any questions regarding the raid.

Following the raid, Henry Juszkiewicz, CEO of Gibson, released a statement that Gibson is being unfairly targeted by U.S. Fish and Wildlife and the Department of Justice. This was the second time Gibson has been raided by Fish & Wildlife in the past two years. The first raid occurred on November 17, 2009. Following each raid, no charges were immediately brought against the company, leading to even further confusion by the industry. The 2009 incident was originally scheduled to go to trial, but the Department of Justice asked the judge to stop the case indefinitely, before the second raid took place.

Both raids are directly related to Gibson

Archived