A Nice Alternative to Gloom and Doom Music Biz Rants

Anderton

• Members

Well, just another hack writer who doesn't know how marketing and music distribution works, nor does he write anything about how new unknown artist are made known, nor anything about marketing systems and promotion tools music distribution apply today, nor a word what music marketing is planning for tomorrow.

• Members

A lot of this seems optimistic, but also quite possible. Discuss.

Good read, lots of valid points. Much of what he says reflects what a number of us have been saying for a while.

And I get the feeling that that article has been kicking around for a while... sounds like it was written (or last updated) in the middle of the last decade. But that just seems to reinforce a certain prescience in the writing. For instance, it's clear that on demand subscription is finally getting some sway in the industry -- but if I'm right about the vintage of the article, it was barely a blip when the article was originally written. Only now are we finally seeing music-as-service being taken seriously. We'll have to wait and see how the intersection of music-as-service and social-media develops.

If his enthusiasm and optimism are a little Pollyanna-ish, I think it's clear that this isn't intended as hard-headed analysis so much as a call to engage with the emerging future of the a new, decentralized music biz.

• Members

Well, just another hack writer who doesn't know how marketing and music distribution works, nor does he write anything about how new unknown artist are made known, nor anything about marketing systems and promotion tools music distribution apply today, nor a word what music marketing is planning for tomorrow.

And you do, right, Angelo?

• Members

That is a sad bubble you float around in.

• Members

He said the old systems are dying and almost all forward thinking people agree. If you don't agree, well...Cool.

• Members

He said the old systems are dying and almost all forward thinking people agree. If you don't agree, well...Cool.

He didn't mention what part of the older marketing system are obsolete, and what parts are still used, not obsolete. Not everything was abandoned. For example Amazon still needs logistic centers around the world.

And he did not descibe what the different approaches and marketing developments are which are in preparation in music marketing. Respectively how will we buy music in a few months. He seems not to have this information.

In other words, you musician can not draw any information from this article which will help you selling music.

• Members

Oh, we're doing articles now? Here's one way to do it!!!

Step One: Get really amazing musicians who play uniquely, and front them with a good-looking charismatic singer who can sing really well.

Step Two: Get them to either write or play/sing fantastic songs that are catchy but say things in a slightly unique way, such as offering a new perspective on something that is still a universal theme so that everyone can relate to it.

Step Three: Stay together without lots of petty in-fighting or sleeping with each other's significant others or being stupid and irresponsible.

Step Four: Be part of a scene that is supportive.

Step Five: Promote the hell out of yourselves when doing live shows or promoting your recordings. People cannot possibly ignore you if you are selling out venues.

How's that?

Apologies since this isn't very cynical. If it were cynical, it'd make me look like I was a seasoned vet in the know. :D

• Members

I know a few people who have basically done what the articles advises - focus on a particular niche, work hard to cultivate a fan base, try for innovative partnerships, etc. and have done well. Not "Led Zeppelin" well, but "live comfortably" well, generally as part of a local scene. (This approach seems particularly effective with what would have been "has-beens" who have a dormant fan base that can be activated, go to concerts, and buy music.)

One of my favorite examples of super-focused marketing is a new age harpist who made arrangements with realtors to have her CD playing at homes when they were being shown to prospective clients. The realtors were happy to do it for free because it put the customers in a good space. She sold a bunch to all the people who said "Well I'm not that interested in the house, but where can I get that CD?"

Of course, that wouldn't be enough to provide a living. But as one component of an overall strategy, it makes sense. As another example I make some bucks from doing soundtracks, with that cost folded into the cost of video productions. Not only do I enjoy doing them, it gives me an opportunity to make music in a variety of genres, which I could never do for a record company.

We're still at the beginning of Whatever Is Next, and I don't think it hurts to discuss strategies - then see what works and what doesn't.

• Members

One of my favorite examples of super-focused marketing is a new age harpist who made arrangements with realtors to have her CD playing at homes when they were being shown to prospective clients. The realtors were happy to do it for free because it put the customers in a good space. She sold a bunch to all the people who said "Well I'm not that interested in the house, but where can I get that CD?"

That's a great example of finding more ways to circumvent the current models and getting music to an audience that's likely to really appreciate your music.

• Members

• Members

I came into this thread to agree that the writer of the article Craig posted had some pretty good points, as I already noted.

You came in to the thread to do what? Ah yes, post
this...

Yes. exactly.

Have a look at some nerds over here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2827071-Getting-your-music-heard-without-playing-live

• Members

Yes. exactly.

Have a look at some nerds over here:

Why bother?

While there was a time you seemed like a valuable contributor to these forums -- and I would have been likely to follow a link suggestion from you -- now, for whatever reasons, you seem to have chosen to become little more than an annoying troll. Frankly, I think it's a shame and a waste. But if that's how you choose to spend your time, what can I do about it? All I can think to do is just call out your inanity and rudeness as the bad behavior it is and move on.

• Members

Why bother?

While there was a time you seemed like a valuable contributor to these forums -- and I would have been likely to follow a link suggestion from you -- now, for whatever reasons, you seem to have chosen to become little more than an annoying troll. Frankly, I think it's a shame and a waste. But if that's how you choose to spend your time, what can I do about it? All I can think to do is just call out your inanity and rudeness as the bad behavior it is and move on.

Put my link up your arse, if you like.

I am here to have fun, you however is the

Archived