Something to help with your diet...

UstadKhanAli

• CMS Author

There used to be a lunch counter restaurant in Charlottesville VA (home of the University of Virginia) going back about 30 years, maybe more, that served a version of that sandwich. I don't think they put bacon on it, but the crux of the biscuit, as it were, was a cheeseburger between two KK glazed donuts. The whole thing went into a sandwich grill for a minute or so to get some of the sugar on the surface of the donuts caramelized.

They called it a "Grillswith" and it was popular with students. That name has apparently been usurped by a sandwich of ice cream between two grilled donuts, with chocolate sauce drizzled on top. The ice cream version is currently served by a diner in Charlottesville, and I think this may be the same place that sold the hamburger version in the 1970s.

• Members

I know that sometimes, some of these seemingly strange sorts of things can actually taste pretty good. For example, sometimes, slides of pears can taste good in a salad. And when I was in the Detroit airport, I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with honey and bacon on it that tasted good.

But this doughnut burger seems utterly revolting. Nonetheless, people line up for these at fairs.

• CMS Author

But this doughnut burger seems utterly revolting. Nonetheless, people line up for these at fairs.

People will eat anything at fairs. That's where the corn dog started, then the deep fried Snickers and Milky Way. I heard that some fair this year had a deep fried butter stick on a stick.

• Members

I was hoping that the sweet and savory would blend to be something interesting. But it didn't really blend. The two flavors just stayed separate. It didn't help that the donuts were cold. I think if they were warm it might have worked better. But not good enough that I would want to try it again.

The Fair is coming up in a couple of weeks. We'll see what crazyness the cook up this year. Two years ago I tried the deep fried snickers and 2 bites were enough for me. I'll definitely skip on the deep fried butter. I think I might try the deep fried Twinkie this year. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hit the State Fair this weekend. First time on a weekend. In the past, when I was not a contractor and didn't loose a days pay when I took the day off, we went on a week day. It makes it the Fair tolerable. The weekend is just too crowded. :mad:

Any way my indulgence this year was deep fried Chips Ahoy :thu: good stuff.

fried_chipsAhoy.jpg

• Members

I know that sometimes, some of these seemingly strange sorts of things can actually taste pretty good. For example, sometimes, slides of pears can taste good in a salad. And when I was in the Detroit airport, I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with honey and bacon on it that tasted good.

Here in Rose City, we have a funky place called Voodoo Doughnut. It serves a maple bar with bacon. Have not had one myself, but people say it tastes like pancakes and syrup with a side of bacon. Not so sure about a burger with a doughnut though!?!

(If interested, check out their menu: http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php

Archived