The Propheads Have Lost Their Minds!

Ernest Buckley

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha, yeah I just got the e-mail from them. I was going to start a thread asking people what they planned to pay but EB beat me to it. Perhaps I should start a survey thread?

Frankly, I think the program is worth a million dollars but the sad thing for me is that, since getting back into gigging, I don't have enough free time to get $20 worth out of it anymore.

In any case there's no doubt I'll be upgrading to it.

From e-mail:

That's right. If you own both Reason and Record you decide what you will pay for the upgrade to Reason 6. We trust you to decide what Reason 6 is worth to you. Whatever you decide, that's what you'll pay*.

*Anything you want, as long as anything is at least $1.00/

• Members

Its just an update and you have to own their other packages.

I dont know whats in the update. You would have to own them to know.

With Programs like cakewalk there really isnt a huge difference between say Sonar 4 and Sonar 8.

I doubt if many would pay for an update unless there was something there they had to have,

or they wanted to upgrade to Win 7 or something. Differences are very minor.

Therefore unless there was something spectacular there, I dont see them offering low cost or even free upgrade

as being suicidal, its just a method of grabbing some market share and stop the current users from jumping ship.

• Members

Seriously, I love REASON/RECORD but I cannot understand why they are doing this. Its suicide.

It seems much closer to "good marketing" than "suicide" to me. :)

The "pay what you want" model is already established in music sales, and it works pretty well. Keep in mind that, as has been mentioned, it's only for existing customers, and that it basically stops the value of pirating the update. And it gets people talking, as you have nicely done for them here in this thread. All around smart idea.

• Members

The Propheads Have Lost Their Minds!

Yeah I got the e mail also......I reckon if you already own Record and Reason......one might almost expect the upgrade to R6 to be really inexpensive. I mean you have already bought the two main components in their catalogue. At roughly $300 for Reason and possibly roughly $200 for record....... asking you to now pay even more to upgrade to the latest version, having only owned these for a year or so, seems a bit harsh. I think this is a novel idea, it's a nice gesture and I wish more software companies would do stuff like this.

As far as people who do not own Record, I think they want $169, for Reason 5 and before owners, to upgrade to 6.

• Members

Its just an update and you have to own their other packages.

I dont know whats in the update. You would have to own them to know.

There are three new devices:

With three new devices in the Reason 6 rack, there's a lot to learn and try out. Fortunately we've got you covered with three new micro tutorial videos that will introduce you to each of the new devices: The Echo, Pulveriser, and Alligator.

The echo seems like something familiar, not really sure about the other two yet. I think the really big deal is that Reason/Record will no longer be two separate programs.

So, other than the three new devices, those of us who have both programs won't see that much of a change.

It was rather oddball and a change was needed. You could run Reason or Record alone but if you had Reason (and set it up right) Record would go ahead and load Reason when you started it but Reason would never load Record. You needed the dongle for Record but not for Reason but if you wanted to load Reason when you started Record you had to put data into the dongle. Now it will be all or nothing.

• Members

Check this out!!!
:mad:

Seriously, I love REASON/RECORD but I cannot understand why they are doing this. Its suicide.

Great customer relations. Since it's an upgrade, it can be assumed the potential customers already have favorable attitudes toward the product.

It keeps people in the upgrade path (and so keeps them more likely to spend a few bucks with them rather than go out and drop a bushel of bucks on something completely new), even if they might be otherwise undecided -- or simply too broke to make the jump.

The indie music distro service Bandcamp urges artists to consider using a customer-sets-the-price model as they say they have some research that such an approach can, at least in the case of indie bands, increase revenue over fixed prices. To be sure, I've bought music, software, and other items when I might have foregone it otherwise simply because the vendor gave me the option of paying what I felt was appropriate/could afford/whatever. One thing that's crucial, of course, is to make sure that it's easy for the customer to complete the process.

• Members

Hmmm.....684 posts in 20 days......the general tone........ is this the artist formerly known as Von Hagenwil and also Paul McCartney? Rudy, is that you?

Alphonso Hans Einstein here. Is that you Jimi? Need you for recording the riff of "Bleeding Heart" for a club techno release for Guetta and Snoop Dogg. Call me on the godphone, or send me the guitar track via email in at least 320 kbps quality, tempo doesn't matter.

Hans

P.S. A nice image of you

train.jpg

• Members

Let's face it, people's expectations of what they should have to pay for software are changing thanks in part to the struggling economy and Apple's App Stores for iOS and Mac OS. Apple itself is charging $29 for its Lion OS X upgrade instead of the $129 they've charged for past upgrades.

There's an interesting guest editorial in the September 2011 issue of Macworld magazine (which I unfortunately can't find online) written by the author of the Instapaper iPhone app, Marco Arment. He makes a good case for lower prices, that they are probably inevitable and that they can lead to bigger profits.

Arment shares that he initially priced his Instapaper app at $9.99--higher, he says, than nearly every successful iPhone app. At that price point, his sales volume was "modest." He then dropped the price to $4.99 with the next update. "That turned out to be the right decision, " he wrote, "My sales volume exploded."

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Exactly Geoff. Drop the price, sell more....sell more....gain more DAW market share......gain market share....sell even more. As far as I know (I have Reason 4 and Recycle....but never use them so I hardly know the features)..... it's my understanding that Record does not host 3rd party plug in's.....everything is proprietary, same with Reason. Am I right on this?

If that is the case, it's going to be attractive in and of itself because users can expect less compatibility problems. So yeah, if the word goes out that Propellerhead's is a great company, progressive thinking and good to it's customers........AND the prices are decent....a lot of people might jump or start there.

Thanks for the very cool picture of Jimi, Hans Von Schlongfiddler....I had never seen that one before....and it is nice to see Jimi without a guitar or a chick. How's the girlies mit big bosoms in Shangwho or Swvitzalaand or wherever you are producing at the moment?

• Members

I think there are a few factors at play here. First of all, to deal with the piracy issue, P-Heads have always felt that the carrot was better than the stick...that customer loyalty was a more effective deterrent to piracy than, say, a raid by Federal agents :)

Second, I don't think Record did all that well as a DAW, and this is their way of saying "thank you" to those who supported Reason and Record.

Third, they're just plain cool people. I know several of the P-Heads and they're super-nice, very smart, and really dedicated to what they do. They're in this for the long haul, and by making sure those who bought Record and Reason stay in the fold, they'll have much better odds of those users following the upgrade path in the future.

Fourth...they get our attention, didn't they?

• Members

With Programs like cakewalk there really isnt a huge difference between say Sonar 4 and Sonar 8. I doubt if many would pay for an update unless there was something there they had to have,

or they wanted to upgrade to Win 7 or something. Differences are very minor.

I'm not sure I'd agree...Sonar 4 didn't have V-Vocal pitch correction, AudioSnap for audio quantize, REX import, in-track MIDI editing, the VX-64 and PX-64 channel strips, Session Drummer, Dimension synthesizer, Step Sequencer, the Project 5 effects, etc. I'd agree the essential elements don't change much, but what changes are the additions.

In a similar vein, some might say that Pro Tools 9 wasn't that big an upgrade compared to 8, but realistically, being able to use any interface instead of being restricted to Avid interfaces was a huge deal. Also, while PT7 was very much about elastic audio, that upgrade made it possible for remixers, DJs, etc. to use Pro Tools for projects that were tedious at best with PT6.

So yes, a lot of it is about whether there's some addition you really need. Also in support of your point, a lot of people sit out an upgrade or two, and jump a couple versions to consolidate the changes. But what some users see as a minor change, others will see as absolutely essential to what they do.

• Members

I don't think Record did all that well as a DAW, and this is their way of saying "thank you" to those who supported Reason and Record.

Third, they're just plain cool people. I know several of the P-Heads and they're super-nice, very smart, and really dedicated to what they do. They're in this for the long haul, and by making sure those who bought Record and Reason stay in the fold, they'll have much better odds of those users following the upgrade path in the future.

I don`t know how well they did with RECORD $$$-wise. Where can one get that info?

Just from the several people I have spoken to about REASON and RECORD, I think most people have little idea how good these products are. I think they see the colorful interface, the affordability and they see these two softwares as gimmicky, giving no other thought to actually checking out these products.

For those of us in the know, its just a wonderful world to get lost in.

• Members

Not to be that guy, but I wouldn't even flinch at putting only a buck for the upgrade if I owned both.

What, so fully recoding the app in 64 bit, adding 64 bit rewire, audio transpose, sequencer and operational tweaks, Echo, Alligator and Pulverizer an extra stretch algo for audio, drag and drop functionality and unifying the two products as one is only $1.00 worth of coding labour ?

Seriously :confused:.

• Members

What, so fully recoding the app in 64 bit, adding 64 bit rewire, audio transpose, sequencer and operational tweaks, Echo, Alligator and Pulverizer an extra stretch algo for audio, drag and drop functionality and unifying the two products as one is only $1.00 worth of coding labour ?

Seriously
:confused:

Rather less. There are free audio programs which do all what you listed, But I kow that some people use reason, don't know why. That software isn't a tool for composers nor for recordists.

• Members

Rather less. There are free audio programs which do all what you listed, But I kow that some people use reason, don't know why. That software isn't a tool for composers nor for recordists.

News to Me, it did a perfectly good job for my last album !!!!

Archived