I love this highly obscure "sunshine pop" record from 1971. Give it a listen.

rasputin1963

• Members

Hey gang,

An online radio show just introduced me to this highly obscure pop record from 1971.

The Golden Gate Singers--- "High On A Melody"

It's just a perfect little pop record of the kind they used to make in 1971. :thu:Even a very lesser-known pop group could still receive the full treatment of an incredible orchestral arrangement. I for one do not recall hearing this record at all when I was 8 years old in 1971... Do you remember it?

Seems to have shades of Beach Boys, the British "Tony Burrows" sound, The Grassroots... The horns even remind me of Gamble-Huff Philly soul...

Nice vocal mix on the chorus; listen to how the singers veer quite out of tune on the fadeout... that kind of imperfection is something you'll never hear anymore. ;)

• Members

Thanks for the footwork, spokenward. i had wondered where that little burst of pop confection had arisen from. (-;

Allmusic is a blessing and a curse. It's just a database and subject to data drift.

When they say "Style: Gospel Spirituals", I would guess that they have conflated the name of this group and the name of the "Golden Gate Quartet"

not the same - awesome, but not the same at all.

Archived