RIP STEVE JOBS

techristian

• Members

It looks like cancer got the best of him.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/us/obit-steve-jobs/index.html?section=cnn_latest

It's long been Silicon Valley legend: Jobs and Wozniak built their first commercial product, the Apple 1, in Jobs' parents' garage in 1976. Jobs sold his Volkswagen van to help finance the venture. The primitive computer, priced at $666.66, had no keyboard or display, and customers had to assemble it themselves.

Dan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a Mac user for over two decades and an iPod and iPhone user, it's hard to imagine my life without Steve Jobs's impact.

Regardless of any flaws attributed to him, Jobs's strengths were undeniable. He was one of the great figures of our time.

RIP, SJ. :(

Best,

Geoff

• Members

As a Mac user for over two decades and an iPod and iPhone user, it's hard to imagine my life without Steve Jobs's impact.

Regardless of any flaws attributed to him, Jobs's strengths were undeniable. He was one of the great figures of our time.

RIP, SJ.
:(

Best,

Geoff

As a non-Mac and non-iAnything owner,* it's hard to imagine my life without Steve Job's impact.

He was a visionary. Without a doubt.

And that impact was felt across not just the computer, phone, and media player industries, but the whole consumer sector.

*I've certainly used Macs, of course.

• Members

He will be sorely missed...but damn, the dude left one hell of a legacy, and it's one from which we will continue to benefit for years to come.

I'd say "rest in peace," but he's probably busy trying to figure out how to streamline the afterlife transition process.

• Members

It is a sad day indeed... everything I do creatively -- recording music, publishing, video, photography -- I do on a Mac. I type these words of sorrow on a Mac. Steve Jobs brought technology to the people and integrated it seamlessly into their lives while making it an essential part of them as well. His legacy will live on, and he will be remembered in the same way that Henry Ford is, as someone who produced stuff that changed peoples' lives and changed the world in the process.

R.I.P., Mr. Jobs.

:cry:

• Members

I came here earlier today to see if anyone had posted about Bert Jansch and was so shocked to see this thread. I did not know Steve had passed. I knew he was very sick but this was a total shock.

I am really deeply saddened by this. He was too young, way too young. I mean, he is immensely rich and leaves a HUGE legacy....he will be remembered forever for what he did for mankind....while most will die with a couple nickels to rub together comparatively, and only family and a few friends who will remember us. But it is not about that really......besides you can't take any of all that with you.

But for such a genius to die so young...in his 50's? Had he not had this disease, who knows what he would still have had to offer us all, in the years to come?

The man has shaped and re-shaped culture. It's almost hard to comprehend in how many ways. You just have to look at music alone, in terms of how the iPad interacts, integrates, controls, teaches, records.......works as a modeler.....look at the iPB-10...etc etc etc. Military applications, social, educational, medical......on and on.

Even my two young daughters now have iPads, as required by their school. They are 5 and 10! They own iPads!

My youngest is in Kindergarten, my eldest in 5th Grade. I did the setting up of both units, did all the Application downloading, synced them, created the E mail accounts etc. I reckon our school is somewhat ahead of the curve here, but guess what? This is the way all schools will be soon. School books will be replaced by downloadable ones and exercise books replaced by a nice notebook app. Everything will be so interactive and already there are SO many educational apps and programs that incorporate games and brain teasers etc to make learning fun.

Now the new iPhone 4G S has Siri which is going to be amazing.....an 8 meg camera that shoots 1080P HD video and a superfast dual core A5 chip........

I'm just one of millions and millions of happy Apple users around the globe, but the creations and innovation of Steve Jobs and Apple, has definitely made my world a much nicer place.

Thanks for that Steve. RIP.

• Moderators

Few things actually change the shape of humanity. Irrigation. The printing press. The automobile... but Jobs had his finger in the pie of electronic communications as much as any and more the most. More that any? Some say he was "the guy". I'm not going to disagree. His vision changed the world. And that is not hyperbole.

• Members

Few things actually
change
the shape of humanity. Irrigation. The printing press. The automobile... but Jobs had his finger in the pie of electronic communications as much as any and more the most. More that any? Some say he was "the guy". I'm not going to disagree. His vision changed the world. And that is not hyperbole.

Agreed. There's never any just one "the" guy when it comes to something as ubiquitous as the home computer, but Jobs comes very, very close.

President Obama put it very well: The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve

• Members

Best,

Geoff

Thanks for sharing this Geoff! I saw this around a year ago but it was nice to watch it again this morning. You will hear the truth from the dying. Jobs was just getting over his initial bout with cancer in this clip so you`re hearing from a man who went to the edge and peeked over and then came back to tell us about it. I think the most important thing he says is about asking yourself everyday, what if today were my last day? Is this how I would choose to live it?

• Members

I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but a few hours before it was announced that Steve passed away, my iPod touch stopped abruptly. I tried to plug it into the computer to see if the battery needed charging and I got a pic of the battery with a sliver of red on the left side indicating that the battery was dead. I tried this several times with no success. Just last night, I plugged it in to the usb on my computer for the eighth time and lo and behold, it started charging and the screen came back up on the iPod fully functional. SPOOKY!!!!!!!

Archived