PSU for Ampex 350

Halland

• Members

PSU for Ampex 350

I've got an Ampex 350 (not the tape recorder, just the electronics part, which I was hoping to use as a preamp) with no PSU. I realize the latter are scarce, but would there be any way round this problem? Could the internal PSU for the 351 be used for instance (I have seen a few of these available separately), or are they not compatible?

thanks,

Tore

• CMS Author

I've got an Ampex 350 (not the tape recorder, just the electronics part, which I was hoping to use as a preamp) with no PSU. I realize the latter are scarce, but would there be any way round this problem? Could the internal PSU for the 351 be used for instance

Highly unlikely. The two use a different B+ voltage, and the 350 has a 12 vdc filament supply that the 351 doesn't. If you can find a suitable power transformer (not trivial) it's easy enough to build one. You can peek at the schematic here.

But wouldn't you rather put that electronics chassis in a nice 350 transport, either yours or someone else's, and get yourself a nice modern preamp? Legends about the 350 electronics making a great phat toob preamp are largely exaggerated. But there's no denying the cool factor.

• Members

Highly unlikely. The two use a different B+ voltage, and the 350 has a 12 vdc filament supply that the 351 doesn't. If you can find a suitable power transformer (not trivial) it's easy enough to build one. You can peek at the schematic
.'

Thanks, that got these PSUs out of the way. There is one person who services my equipment who could possibly build me one based on the schematics, so thanks. But would you, or any else, happen to know whether or not one 350 PSU would be able to power more than one 350? If I were to get another one with a PSU, then I could have both running (probably not)?

But wouldn't you rather put that electronics chassis in a nice 350 transport, either yours or someone else's, and get yourself a nice modern preamp? Legends about the 350 electronics making a great phat toob preamp are largely exaggerated. But there's no denying the cool factor.

I am just trying to record my band, but I have a Milllennia TD 1, which is, or used to be my go to preamp, and a couple of Focusrite Green Series which sound wonderful with Neumans on overhead. There are some others, like Art Pro MPA and Aphex 207 that I use, but my primary interest for the moment are older records, the e.g. Sun stuff from the fifties. I figured it would be interesting to use some older equipment as mic pres as I have quite a few older mics, RCA DX77, 44b, Western Dynamics 269, EV 666 etc. I have an Ampex 601 which sounds good so I was hoping to get another one. Turns out it that is the 351 I should have been getting.

• Members

Highly unlikely. The two use a different B+ voltage, and the 350 has a 12 vdc filament supply that the 351 doesn't. If you can find a suitable power transformer (not trivial) it's easy enough to build one. You can peek at the schematic

Thanks, I appreciate the advice

I have a few faily modern preamps, such as the Millennia TD 1 (or something like that) and Focusrite Green Series that sound great as overhead with (modern) Neumans. The others that work for me are Aphex 207 and the ART MPA PRO. I am just recording my band in less than ideal conditions, nothing serious. But I listen to mostly fifties stuff (Sun, Imperial, Specialty stuff) and so I figured that it would be interesting to try to emulate that sound to some extent. I have some vintage mics, three RCAs, including the DX77 and 44B, as well as Western Dynamics 639 and Electro Voice 666. I already have an Ampex 601 abd an RCa BA-2A (not really a preamp either but it works). Turns out I should have be getting a 351 rather than a 350, but I had not done my homework properly. At a glance they look almost the same. But thanks, all the same.

Archived