Pro Tools 10

UstadKhanAli

• Members

This is allegedly a review from someone who has already gotten their mitts on PT 10:

http://www.airusersblog.com/home-page/2011/10/21/avid-pro-tools-10-review-i-think-avid-may-have-the-last-laug.html

New AAX format:

Avid, along with introducing Pro Tools 10, has introduced a new plugin format, AAX.

Here

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So... PT is only now getting clip gain stuff? That's amazing.

Sonar's had individual clip gain and automation -- independent of track gain and automation -- as well as individual clip FX, which is extremely useful -- for some years now.

EDIT: When I finally work out some of the fine points in my time machine, I'm going back and not posting this. Until then (or however that works), I'd like to point out that I've had an opportunity to think twice about the pertinence of posting this here. ;)

• Members

I'm sure it's great to be a Sonar and Nuendo user. If I were starting from scratch, I might buy one of those products instead of--or in addition to--Pro Tools. But for the time being, I have my hands full with Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and Logic Pro.

As a Pro Tools user and a Mac user, I'm happy with those products too. But for some reason whenever there's a new release on one of those platforms, people see it as a chance to say how much better they feel their product is. If that's what you want to do, all I ask is that you start a new thread. I'd like to learn about the new products I'll eventually buy without having to sift through all of the off-topic posts.

It's true I could go to the Avid site to do that, and I have. But what I like about reading it here is that I can get opinions from other Pro Tools users who I know and respect.

My thanks in advance to anyone who honors my request.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I'm sure it's great to be a Sonar and Nuendo user. If I were starting from scratch, I might buy one of those products instead of--or in addition to--Pro Tools. But for the time being, I have my hands full with Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and Logic Pro.

As a Pro Tools user and a Mac user, I'm happy with those products too. But for some reason whenever there's a new release on one of those platforms, people see it as a chance to say how much better they feel their product is. If that's what you want to do, all I ask is that you start a new thread. I'd like to learn about the new products I'll eventually buy without having to sift through all of the off-topic posts.

It's true I could go to the Avid site to do that, and I have. But what I like about reading it here is that I can get opinions from other Pro Tools users who I know and respect.

My thanks in advance to anyone who honors my request.

Best,

Geoff

Agreed.

We all already know that many DAWs have had features for years that PT doesn't didn't have, so people are not saying anything that all of us already don't know.

I'd rather simply talk about the features and implications and workflow that may change with PT 10.

• Members

I look forward to upgrading.

(In 2014 or 2015, when I can buy the new hardware for half the price they will ask new.) ;)

Every 5 years or so Digi/Avid comes out with an end-stage release that is reliable and compatible with everything. My first system was 5.1.3 with Mix|24 cards, which I ran from around 2003 until 2010. Rock solid, tons of plug-ins, great work flow. After that it was 7.4, which I bought in 2010 (used, for about 1/4 of list price). I will run 7.4 until the prices for the new hardware come down and the 64-bit software (doesn't exist yet) is stable and reliable, and all the plug ins I want are released in stable versions for the new format. I'm guessing my next system will run the final version of ProTools 11.

If I added up all the money I've saved with this upgrade plan it would be a 5-figure sum. The high-end ProTools business model as Avid tries to sell it is lunacy, at least for small music shops. The Hollywood post guys might be able to justify it. I don't see how any small or mid-market recording studio can.

Finally, in defense of ProTools late adoption of many perks that other platforms offer... every time I've worked on other platforms, I've been bugged by instability, inferior workflow, cluttered and counter-intuitive user interfaces, and the inability to monitor software inputs without crippling latency. Those features, for me, far outweigh concerns like clip-based gain. The fact that pros all around the world use the same platform is a nice perk when it comes time to collaborate.

• Members

I don't know why not. I'm a composer, and Pro Tools is my primary composition software.

Granted, you can't load a full set of orchestral articulations in any application that's not 64-bit, Pro Tools included. But that's easy to work around using external sound sources.

Best,

Geoff

The main thing that interests me so far in the new release is the expanded EUCON support. I don't yet have an Artist Control surface, but I'll probably end up buying one.

I'll be interested in reading reports that share how well it's implemented.

Best,

Geoff

I've just got my Pro Tools 10 a couple of days ago and then, I'm in a tour now so I did not have a chance to really getting any deep with PT 10 and my Artist Control.

What I saw is that there are "buttons" in the touch screen of the Artist CONTROL which calls functions of Pro Tools which DO NOT have a pre-assigned QWERTY shortcut (like "Save as" or "Save Copy in" as an example). So you have access to pretty much everything right on the screen with a couple of buttons. And you can create your own pages of functions.

... but here are some nice videos explaining the newest features:

http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/Pro-Tools-10-EuCon-Overview

http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/Pro-Tools-EuCon-Workflow

:wave:

• Members

All studios I work with use ProTools, and it seems to work perfect, but you can't compose with that damn thing.

No YOU can't compose with it. Many other people have no problem composing with Pro Tools. But then, I would not expect anything less from you than to come up with some absolutely retarded {censored}ing statement like that, where clearly you have no clue about what you are even saying.

If you like to use Nuende or whatever, then that is cool. More power to you. But to just pull a jackass statement like that out of your ass shows undeniably that you are either just trying to provoke, or you have no clue about anything to do with any of this.

• Members

I am a long time Pro Tools user...all the way from PT4 going in to PT5 and a Digi 001....which despite what people may think of it, I still have a soft spot for the 001.....wish I still had it, just for fun. But as much as I have been a loyal Digi/Avid customer for quite some years now......this PT10 thing has got me tweaked. And I am not alone. There is going to be a lot of grumbling about this.

Even some of the new feature descriptions are lame.........

• Members

Anyhow, the RAM caching looks great. Everything else doesn't warrant an upgrade for me (I'm still using 8 when I bother to use pro tools).

I like the RAM cache A LOT. I committed the ultimate sin and upgraded to 10 in the middle of a project....well, lot's of projects.:D One mix I am doing for a client has about 80 tracks. PT10 is a lot more responsive than 9 was with the ram cache feature.

• Members

Yeah no {censored} Geoff! Look to the quote below for a perfect example.

No
YOU
can't compose with it. Many other people have no problem composing with Pro Tools. But then, I would not expect anything less from you than to come up with some absolutely retarded {censored}ing statement like that, where clearly you have no clue about what you are even saying.

If you like to use Nuende or whatever, then that is cool. More power to you. But to just pull a jackass statement like that out of your ass shows undeniably that you are either just trying to provoke, or you have no clue about anything to do with any of this.

Anyway... I use Nuendo and Logic.

and about that:

But then, I would not expect anything less from you than to come up with some absolutely retarded {censored}ing statement like that, where clearly you have no clue about what you are even saying

You're an asshole !!!

• Members

I think Pro Tools 10 has some great features, but I resent the price tag of $1000 for HD users. That's way out of line, without the 64 bit step. I have felt for some time that the HD Accel cards were not 64 bit compatible. That has been confirmed. TDM and RTAS will end, probably within a year. That means I need to buy new hardware, AND upgrade all of my software. It means going to a new format, so that probably means buying ALL NEW SOFTWARE. I love Pro Tools, but I'm not happy.

I haven't had problems with fade files, or a lack of responsiveness when running sessions. My track counts are almost always below 100, and I know how to make them work. I have had problems with getting enough instrument running in Pro Tools. I have Vienna Ensemble Pro, and that works, but I would prefer to have all of my instruments inside one program. Even Logic has this problem, only it's in reverse--they have the 32 bit bridge and that's a little buggy, too.

So with 10, Avid didn't address my main problem. And they have priced it unfairly. And they have made my whole investment--ALL OF IT, from the Accel cards to the interfaces to the Sync I/O, to every piece of software I own for Pro Tools obsolete into the future. I don't like it. I don't really know what I'll do about it. For now, I have been doing most of my instrument intensive projects in Logic. To tell the truth, once it's in Logic, I generally finish it there because I don't want to start over with the mix. I like to have all the instruments up and running until I print the final. When I get projects to mix only, I do it in whatever format it comes in--If it's Logic, I stay there. DP composers usually give me sound files and I open them in Pro Tools and go from there. Pro Tools sessions stay Pro Tools.

I like the features, but I'm not happy about this. Craig was one of the guys that they interviewed in the presentation. I haven't seen his post here. I'm sure that it sounds great and works great. Pro Tools always does. It's the business plan that sucks. At least I'm compatible and can open any session in 9.0.5--PROVIDED THAT THE PERSON SENDING THE FILE HAS SAVED IT AS AN "OLDER VERSION". It's my understanding that if they don't, I can't open the session. That's not the way it works now. I could go on, but I think you get how I feel about this.

Steve

Archived