Daddy's Junky Music closes its doors

raagam

• Members

New England music gear retailer Daddy's Junky Music has closed all of its stores as of yesterday, as you all may have heard. Too bad, they were a good source of bargain-priced used gear -- and jobs for musicians. On the other hand, in recent years I've purchased more from online stores, or from better-stocked retails outlets.

Poking around on the web a bit, I found this article with some details on their demise, quotes below:

http://salem-nh.patch.com/articles/daddy-s-junky-music-closes-a49ff4ae

According to Bramante, the downfall of the company began with a lawsuit in Massachusetts in 2008. Two former employees and a manager who was with the company alleged Daddy's compensation system was not legal and "managers weren't actually managers."

In saying that the company couldn't afford to find out they were wrong in their position, Bramante paid damages to all the managers of the company at the time and any who'd been employed in the previous two years.

Although the company had virtually no cash, Bramante thought a couple of good years for Daddy's would return it to its previous prowess as the 14th-largest music retailer in the country.

"Then the recession hit," Bramante said.

• Members

This is actually good news for me. Their eBay listings gave me stress chest pains... wanting to hit whoever listed them, but they were physically too far to drive for me to do so. Plus I would calm down after a few miles anyway even if I did even get to the car. That

• Members

This reinforces my belief that it is bad policy to try and hire folks at the lowest possible wage and then screw them a bit on top of that.

I've seen several businesses do this lately that struggle mightily, when it seems like if they would just compensate employees better they would get better workers who do better work, increasing their business and this their overall situation.

Dunno if that is the case here, but it certainly sounds like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived