Lights are flickering, trees are falling

Philter

• Members

Heavy wet snow falling fast, sticking to the leaves still on the trees, wind picking up. I just carried a trash bag out to the garbage can. The woods are filled with the sound of branches cracking and falling. Pretty amazing. Our lights have flickered off and on a few times in the last 10 minutes. I think there's about 100% chance my power is going out- outage map showing people going out all over the state (CT).

Big question is, can the power stay on for another 60 minutes until my beef burgundy in the oven is done? :confused:

• Members

30 minutes to go! The virtual wine is appreciated Craig... If I close my eyes real tight I can almost make this box wine taste like the real thing.

It's a rule, if the leaves get buried in snow, they're just part of the lawn next year.

• Members

It's pretty bad here. I'm posting from a public library, took at a shower at the town high school yesterday, which is being powered by diesel generators. There is way more damage than from Irene. I'll post a few pictures when I get power back at home. Lots of neighborhoods are just covered in fallen trees and limbs, power lines down all over the place, trees in various states of collapse hanging out over the roads. I don't know how many thousands of miles of roads there are in this region, but pretty much every one of them has trees and lines down. We were lucky and only lost a few big branches and half of an apple tree.

A lot of businesses are also without power, including gas stations. The scattered gas stations that are open have long lines and in many cases are sold out of all grades of gasoline. That problem is exacerbated by all the people trying to run gas generators at their homes. It's not desperate though because it's in the 50's during the daytime. No one is freezing here. I have a kerosene heater which works great. Tomorrow my epic task will be to find another 5 gallons of kerosene.

Finally, I was able to finish the beef burgundy before the power went out, and it was delicious. I think of it fondly while eating hot dogs boiled over the kerosene heater.

• Members

It's pretty bad here. I'm posting from a public library, took at a shower at the town high school yesterday, which is being powered by diesel generators. There is way more damage than from Irene. I'll post a few pictures when I get power back at home. Lots of neighborhoods are just covered in fallen trees and limbs, power lines down all over the place, trees in various states of collapse hanging out over the roads. I don't know how many thousands of miles of roads there are in this region, but pretty much every one of them has trees and lines down. We were lucky and only lost a few big branches and half of an apple tree.

A lot of businesses are also without power, including gas stations. The scattered gas stations that are open have long lines and in many cases are sold out of all grades of gasoline. That problem is exacerbated by all the people trying to run gas generators at their homes. It's not desperate though because it's in the 50's during the daytime. No one is freezing here. I have a kerosene heater which works great. Tomorrow my epic task will be to find another 5 gallons of kerosene.

Finally, I was able to finish the beef burgundy before the power went out, and it was delicious. I think of it fondly while eating hot dogs boiled over the kerosene heater.

Hey Philter,

Wow, incredible! We had some snow on Saturday, it was a mix of snow and rain, very slushy and dangerous, lots of falling trees. Seriously, it was a fluke storm. Hope you`re back on the grid ASAP.

EB

• Members

I know this is a real challenge for you guys, and I really feel sorry for you having to struggle through this. Hopefully it won't last more than a few weeks as it did in Minnesota when we had our Halloween blizzard a few years ago. However, in 2004 I went through two hurricanes in about 4 weeks. This is the end result of my commercial building after hurricane #2, Hurricane Jeanne. My occupancy went from 100% to zero percent overnight. It remained at zero percent for at least 3 1/2 years as I fought with my insurance company to get some money and my contractor to do the rebuild. Both were totally worthless. It took 8 months to get a check from insurance company and over 3 years to have the building rebuilt. I currently have 1 of 12 units occupied and, the way the economy is here, I don't expect that to change much in the next couple of years. http://www.pbase.com/rking401/federal_plaza_rebuild&page=all

• Members

philter, be careful with that kerocene heater.

They burn up all the oxygen in a room and will asphixiate you if you dont have

an open air source to vent things.

Sorry to hear about the problems up there.

I suppose the only bright spot is all the trees that needed to come down have and you

wont have the problem latere in the season when its really cold out.

They used to trim trees during the summer months in the NE to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

I grew up in the NE and never ever lost power no matter how hard its snowed or iced up.

Now thay just wait for the Sh@t to hit the fand and fix it afterwards leaving millions without power

all to save a buck.

• Members

Still in the dark! Drove through the worst hit area (Farmington River Valley) two nights ago- for at least 15 miles I didn't see a single building with electrical service, and what's worse, neither did I see any sign of the power company- no trucks, no crews, nothing.

The local media is full of people griping about the power company, and the politicians are making all kind of threats about it, but it was the same after Irene and nothing got done. The power comes back on and people forget. Maybe this time it will be different. The power company executives have been getting enormous compensation packages lately... the CEO is due to end up with $30 million just next year. Meanwhile half a million people here have been sitting in the dark for nearly a week, with no end in sight. It's very frustrating.

Archived