What Would You Give To Recover Lost Data?

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

A survey conducted recently by Wakefield Research for Carbonite, Inc. indicates that 50% of Americans would rather lose all of their vacation time for an entire year than lose all the digital files stored on their computer. Further, 38% of married Americans feel that it would be worse to lose everything on their computer than to lose their wedding ring. Three out of five [62%] said they would pay to get back their lost data if their computer crashed, with 21% saying they would pay $500 and 27% saying they would pay as much as they needed to get their documents and files back. While this is an apples vs. oranges thing, it's interesting. It would be more interesting if someone actually made one of these exchanges.

According to the survey, to get back lost files:

One-third [34%] say they would give up beer and wine for a year

31% would give up coffee for a year

23% would give up their cell phone for a month

18% would give up their free time to mow their neighbor's lawn for a year.

Incidentally, Carbonite Inc. is a provider of on-line backup services for consumers and businesses.

The full article

• Members

Several years ago (2007), my HD crashed...lost several songs I was working on and most of my family photos. I didn`t miss the songs I worked my tail off for, I missed the photos. Fortunately, I was able to get most of those files back but I was willing to pay hundreds of dollars to get those pix back. Now I back up to two separate external HDs, some thumb drives, and my .mac server.

• Members

I would be willing to pay a good amount for some things, but fortunately I do data recovery myself as part of my job... any OS and any file system. I've had about 99% success rate in the recovery projects I've done over the last 10 years, from crashed hard drives to hopelessly scrambled file systems due to viruses, etc. Almost anything... floppies, zip drives, flash drives, memory cards to hard drives old and new and everything in between I can do, but I

• Members

So would you give up beer for that last 1%? Or mow your neighbor's lawn?

Haha... I don't know, but that 1% did include losing my only copy of a Windows program called PPS-100Q. It's a remote configuration utility for the JL Cooper PPS-100 MIDI-SMPTE synchronizer. If anyone has it I'll pay you for a copy. It used to be free but JL Cooper no longer supports it

• Members

I'm pretty fanatical about backing up anything of value, but I generate terabytes of data and there's a lot of stuff I could afford to lose without having it impact my life.

So, what would I give to gain back stuff I've lost? Nothing, because (knock on wood) so far I haven't lost anything significant.

• Members
Haha... I don't know, but that 1% did include losing my only copy of a Windows program called PPS-100Q. It's a remote configuration utility for the JL Cooper PPS-100 MIDI-SMPTE synchronizer. If anyone has it I'll pay you for a copy. It used to be free but JL Cooper no longer supports it

• CMS Author

Had a chat with a guy at my gym who's in the data recovery business. They do the full clean room bit, pulling out platters and replacing heads. Business is good - higher density drives fail more often.

I wish I could still buy brand new out of the factory 80 GB and smaller drives. I can still get them, but they're "refurbished" (whatever that means) or pulled from used computers. I use them in my Mackie hard disk recorders where a project, even a full day's recording at a festival, is rarely larger than 40 GB. If I lose the drive, I only lose one project. People who put their year's work on a 2 TB drive are in deep doodoo if something happens that requires more than recovery of a few files.

• Members

People who put their year's work on a 2 TB drive are in deep doodoo if something happens that requires more than recovery of a few files.

But look on the bright side...2TB drives are cheap enough that you can buy a couple more and copy your data over to them for backup.

• CMS Author

But look on the bright side...2TB drives are cheap enough that you can buy a couple more and copy your data over to them for backup.

There was a period where I could buy 40 or 80 GB Western Digital IDE drives for $20. I could probalby put all of my HDR projects worth saving on one 2 TB drive, but then I'd have to remember what's there. Much easier when you have one drive labeled with the one project that's on it (and another one for backup). Even better to just not worry about loss. If the client doesn't take the drive and deal with backup, after a few years he shouldn't expect me to have kept a backup. I tell them that.

• Members

I've been successful digging out old drivers through the archive.org "Wayback Machine". Looked through a few old snapshots of the J L Cooper site, didn't find it, but it doesn't meant that it isn't there:

Alternately, there's this:

js

Thanks, I appreciate the ideas. I regularly dig through the wayback machine as well, but had no luck with that one before. I may give it another go.

Archived