The nerve to remix the Beatles

Hard Truth

• Members

Who would do such a thing?

[video=youtube;A6AdnDDMsZM]

The Inner Light is a particularly obscure Beatles song by George Harrison that was only available on the flip side of the Lady Madonna single for many years. This is 064's 2011 ambient dance electronic remix with his edit of footage of the Beatles in India with the Maharashi.

• Moderators

The Inner Light is a particularly obscure Beatles song by George Harrison that was only available on the flip side of the Lady Madonna single for many years. This is 064's 2011 ambient dance electronic remix with his edit of footage of the Beatles in India with the Maharashi.

The nerve? Come on! It's just a piece of music. They're not pissing on any graves here...

• Members

I've heard far worse remixes. I'm not familiar with the original song.

I look at live remixes as an ephemeral art form. For stuff that's officially released, I think the original musicians should have final say. Unfortunately, few musicians retain real control over their intellectual property, even when they receive income from it, and it ends up being music biz suits and lawyers who have final call more often than not. And, let's face it, they are generally cultural philistines.

I've been considerably more offended by some of the clumsy and insensitive remixes that have come our way from once-respected outfits like Blue Note, who have allowed great artists of the past like Sara Vaughn and Billie Holiday to be used in what sometimes turn out to be completely inept, ungrooving, tennis-shoe-in-dryer-rhythm remixes by 'producers' with no feel for the original -- and all too often, manifestly no sense of rhythm or harmony when it comes to beat matching and harmonic context.

Nonetheless, I've also heard remixes that really created something new and musically interesting and even moving without insulting the source material -- although it's rare enough to be notable.

At least this remix above is musically relatively innocuous.

• Members

It's just pop music...

I've had several of my songs remixed, and I love hearing other people's takes on what I do. It makes me a better musician by being able to "step outside of myself" and see myself in a different way, courtesy of someone else doing it.

Some of the remixes were so good I went back to the original tunes and replaced a couple tracks :)

• Members

By the, mixing Beatles with electronic music is nothing new.

[video=youtube;qkkMz2awmbI]

Though I believe the Chemical Bros actually demonstrated in court that they didn't sample Tomorrow Never Knows (that would be suicide for any artist who does more than post free mixes on Youtube). They just recreated parts of it.

• Members

Though I believe the Chemical Bros actually demonstrated in court that they didn't sample Tomorrow Never Knows (that would be suicide for any artist who does more than post free mixes on Youtube). They just recreated parts of it.

Saw/heard them do that at Electric Factory (phila) mid- nineties. excellent....I am an original Beatlemaniac...i have no qualms about anyone paying tribute to them...

Hard Truth has good intentions, but he is a little too overprotective of the Fab Four,

He (methinks) just needs to get out more: idk:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived