ANTI-LINUX PLOT?

techristian

• Members

This looks like an interesting article.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/leading-pc-makers-confirm-no-windows-8-plot-to-lock-out-linux/4185?tag=nl.e539

Funny that something similar happened to me today. After FLASHING my BIOS I can't seem to get the hard drive to boot ??? .....so I re-installed Windows and it still won't boot. So I completely re-formatted and then re-installed Windows and still couldn't get it to boot......Well tomorrow is another day.

Dan

• Members

Do an FDisk and completely wipe the drive clean. Then load Windows.

If you flashed your bios (dont have a clue why you would do that) then check

the bios version you used. It sounds like you may have installed an incompatible bios version.

You'll have to check with the manufacturer if its the right version. Then you have to set all

your bios settings to match your computer version. Disconnecting the backup battery and shorting a specific

connection on the main board used to be a method of wiping the bios. Its been 10 years since I had to do

that on a board. There can be a gazzillion changes to boards since then. My guess is there something in the Bios

set for the wrong hardware causing a conflict and the computer wont boot till its set right. It may be the Video, Network card, USB,

memory type, or even the hard drive type isnt slected for the right type of drive. All those have to be checked out and set to the proper switching

firest to boot properly. AND if you loaded windows with the wrong bios settings, windows may be looking for the wrong devices when it

boots and it fails because those devices arent present.

• Members

It looks more like an anti-Microsoft plot from Linux people...

see

Dual Booting can be a nightmare. Sometimes , when data gets corrupted, you can lose both systems at once. This laptop is my only system with dual booting. My other main system has a swappable hard drive bay.

Dan

Archived