'Harmony Central Studios'

Mark L

• Members

But no one uses it because... no one uses it. :D

It's kind of online dating for musicos -- except that your dates are... online.

I'm signed up and occasionally go check out some of the things but so far I haven't really found anything that looked to be up my alley. I did see one of my other HC pals involved in something, but though I like and respect him, it wasn't really my cup o' tea musically.

That said, I've been putting off collaborating with a number of 3DW friends who are actually fine musicians and who I would have the putative advantage of being eyeball-to-eyeball with. (Actually, I've put that off so long it may be pretty well mute in many cases). But, you know, I feel like it's my responsibility as an OG early adopter to stick my toe in every cyber-puddle...

www.groovezoo.com

• Members

I'd really like to try it out too and I get the occasional e-mail about open sessions and so forth but it's going to be a while before I have the time to take on any other projects. We've found a new house and we'll be moving in early next month so I'm busy packing anything that's not being used. On top of that I've got to figure out how to use Digital Performer or Logic Studio to create a movie soundtrack, HELP! It's a project I agreed to take on months ago before I knew we'd be moving at the same f&%#ing time!

• Members

I've never really understood this online collab thing

I mean, what do you do? Do you write a guitar part, for example, and send it via email to someone else, who then adds a bassline and sends it to someone else, who adds a keyboard part, and so on?

Is it like songwriting by committee?

• Members

I've never really understood this online collab thing

I mean, what do you do? Do you write a guitar part, for example, and send it via email to someone else, who then adds a bassline and sends it to someone else, who adds a keyboard part, and so on?

Is it like songwriting by committee?

I have no clue Salty. I have not participated yet and I think its partly due to the lack of communication. Writing for me is a very personal experience so I have difficulty writing with others when they`re in the room so doing this online... I was hoping it would work but so far... no bites.

• Members

I have no clue Salty. I have not participated yet and I think its partly due to the lack of communication. Writing for me is a very personal experience so I have difficulty writing with others when they`re in the room so doing this online... I was hoping it would work but so far... no bites.

I've done a little, going back to '99 or so. As you suggest, it can start with a song, or a groove, I suppose, maybe even a single part. From what I've heard on GrooveZoo, it seems like people are inclined to lay down a skeletal structure, a beat and a guitar or bass, and then others fill in other parts.

In one collab I did with a young techno whiz kid in England (that would be the 1999 project) he sent me something that sounded like he'd created it in Rebirth, I wrote some lyrics that could have been put to any style of music but, for this 140 bpm club thing, ended up being a sort of white boy speed rap. He wanted to redo the music, so I sent that as bare vocal tracks. Since the high speed syncopation was extremely beat-dependent, I gave him highly specific instructions on how to seat the vocal against the beat -- and he got 3 out of 4 verses pretty much right on. But the other one (should have) started on a syncopation and the way he seated it on the one threw the whole verse off by a 16th (IIRC). Anyhow, it drove me nuts. I sent him back an email saying it sounded great except for that one part and he sent me back an email saying it sounded fine to him and that was good enough and he was moving on. It was enormously frustrating, particularly since he posted it everywhere and used it as some sort of calling card for a while. He was going to license the track to a compilation and it was about that point that I stopped hearing from him. ;) (That said, I've never run into it on anything, so maybe that just never happened. Anyhow, in those days, you were expected to think of being included on a comp as promo, I guess. And, of course, these days, no one reasonably expects to make any money, anyhow. :D )

• Members

HC Studios is a subset of GrooveZoo. Online collaboration services have never achieved any kind of success, but GrooveZoo is getting traction - last I heard there were around 5,000 users, and that was a while ago. I have not been able to participate yet due to time limitations, but from what I understand, the thing people who use it like about it is that it's a fairly efficient process to find people to work with. If you're into doing death metal you won't be running into new age female singers who want to sound like Enya.

I actually think it has a lot of promise and hope to shake loose long enough to check it out. Part of what it's about is for people to bounce musical ideas off each other. There are free, open sessions for just hacking around, but you can also "book" the equivalent of studio musicians to do something you need.

• Members

Oh, really?
:idea:

Yes, and from what I understand there are filters to make sure you get the level you're looking for.

If I was doing a piece of music right now that demanded, say, a dulcimer part, HC Studios would be the first place I would look for a player. I'm sure at some point I'm going to need something I can't do or obtain locally, at which point I'll be able to file a full report :)

Archived