Wonderful Mysterious Pro Tools LE-002 Problem

russrags

• Members

Finally a problem with equipment that I hope lasts.

My home Studio has a Pro Tools 002, and I noticed the past couple of songs I worked on seemed to have a higher track count than what normally plays back, but I didn't stop to think about it too much.

Well with this newest song I'm working on, my track count is OVER 100 tracks of audio, all playing back at the same time on my LE-002.

I'm wondering what's inside that keeps the 002 around 32 tracks, while HD systems allow higher track count???? Could it be that there's just a chip inside that blocks the higher track count??? Maybe that chip has gone out, maybe anyone can take out their chip and achieve high track counts like I'm experiencing now???

What a wonderful, mysterious Pro Tools Problem.

Russ

Nashville

• CMS Author

I'm wondering what's inside that keeps the 002 around 32 tracks, while HD systems allow higher track count????

Something planted there by the marketing department, most likely, just so you'll have an excuse to buy a more expensive system.

Perhaps the 32 track limit is for recording, that it won't let you add Track 33. But if you open a project that already has 100 tracks, I guess it'll show them to you. Maybe you never knew that because you just assumed you couldn't do it. ;) Have you tried opening large projects before and found that it only showed you 32 tracks?

The way marketeers think is that if you have an LE system, you'll be recording your own projects, so when you run out of tracks while recording, there's where you'll think you've hit the wall.

In Pro Tools, as most of you perhaps already know, there is a difference between "amount of audio tracks" and "simultaneous audio voices" in playback mode.

* Pro Tools LE 8 (Alone) allow up to 48 simultaneous audio voices

* Pro Tools LE 8 + Complete Production Toolkit allow up to 128 simultaneous audio voices

* Pro Tools 9 (Alone) allow up to 96 simultaneous audio voices.

* Pro Tools 9 + Complete Production Toolkit allow up to 192 simultaneous audio voices.

* Pro Tools 10 (Alone) allow up to 96 simultaneous audio voices.

* Pro Tools 10 + Complete Production Toolkit allow up to 256 simultaneous audio voices.

... so, it's either you have the "Complete Production Toolkit" in your system with Pro Tools LE 8... or you have Pro Tools 9 (or 10?) with no toolkits and those 100+ channels are a combination of MONO and STEREO tracks which, when summed, are below the limit of 96 voices of polyphony... or you have Pro Tools 9 (or 10?) WITH the "Complete Production Toolkit" and then you can have up to 192 or even 256 voices of polyphony...

... or you have, indeed, a happy bug in your system I've never head before of :D

• Members

In Pro Tools, as most of you perhaps already know, there is a difference between "amount of audio tracks" and "simultaneous audio voices" in playback mode.

* Pro Tools LE 8 (Alone) allow up to 48 simultaneous audio voices

* Pro Tools LE 8 + Complete Production Toolkit allow up to 128 simultaneous audio voices

* Pro Tools 9 (Alone) allow up to 96 simultaneous audio voices.

* Pro Tools 9 + Complete Production Toolkit allow up to 192 simultaneous audio voices.

* Pro Tools 10 (Alone) allow up to 96 simultaneous audio voices.

* Pro Tools 10 + Complete Production Toolkit allow up to 256 simultaneous audio voices.

WOW Thanks guys ... yea a lot of this info didn't come through my headphones, so I didn't get it. I'm running 8.06 but most of my songs run around 300 tracks of audio, so I should be able to see this coming a mile away. Anyway, whatever is happening, I like it.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Here's where I'm coming from. The thing of the matter is that every single time people post about Pro Tools, you and a few others have to poke their head in and say that Pro Tools is behind the curve, or something else has been doing this for years, etc., and what you basically do is {censored} up the conversation. You make this place a {censored}tier place. And it's not just you posting this little thing here. It's the constant signal to noise ratio. People like you make this place increasingly unpleasant because of constant asinine {censored}.

Think about it this way. If we're at a party - and remember, Craig likes to think of this as a party in which he invites musicians - and several of us talk about Pro Tools, and every time we do so, you poke your big Coaster head in and say, "Oh, I can't believe Pro Tools is so behind the times!" or "Pro Tools is only getting around to doing this now? Why, Sonar has been able to do this for years!", someone might engage you. But after a while, people would see your pattern, see that you're a boorish pedantic bore who can't engage in a *conversation*, and call you on it.

I'm calling you on it.

• Members

Here's where I'm coming from. The thing of the matter is that every single time people post about Pro Tools, you and a few others have to poke their head in and say that Pro Tools is behind the curve, or something else has been doing this for years, etc., and what you basically do is {censored} up the conversation. You make this place a {censored}tier place. And it's not just you posting this little thing here. It's the constant signal to noise ratio. People like you make this place increasingly unpleasant because of constant asinine {censored}.

Think about it this way. If we're at a party - and remember, Craig likes to think of this as a party in which he invites musicians - and several of us talk about Pro Tools, and every time we do so, you poke your big Coaster head in and say, "Oh, I can't believe Pro Tools is so behind the times!" or "Pro Tools is only getting around to doing this now? Why, Sonar has been able to do this for years!", someone might engage you. But after a while, people would see your pattern, see that you're a boorish pedantic bore who can't engage in a *conversation*, and call you on it.

I'm calling you on it.

Awe Ken, don't worry about it. Here's the deal, people LOve whatever they have their money tied up in, period. This has been going on for century's, Neve-SSL, Mac-PC, Fender-Gibson, Ginger-Mary Ann, whatever !@#$% Bottom line is the Music, not the equipment. Most of my work is done with Microhones, A GTRs, E. GTRs, Amps, Speakers, Keyboards, Pencils and Paper, if the song is there, the magnetism of the Artist or Musician is there, any old equipment will do, whether you have a killer external mic pre or not. Pro Tools does what I tell it to do, not the other way around, I don't use any pre-sets of any kind, I craft every drop of my music by hand. I'll bet if we all had a Kodak "Brownie" Camera, you could take a better picture that all of us put together, there's a reason for that, works the same with music too.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

I know that, Russ, and thanks, I appreciate all the comments and everything. I just get a little tired of people ruining conversations, just as I've described above. This place used to be such a great place to have conversations without that constantly having these sorts of interruptions, and it saddens me that it's been reduced to this in most every thread.

• Members

this is ridiculous. i can have an opinion, and i guess you can cry and pout and throw a tantrum if you like, but this is one reason i am hardly ever at this forum anymore is pouters and whiners like you.

if anyone did indeed ruin this thread, it is you my friend.

• Members

I see this kind of thing happening more and more, all the time, in all media and forums. People are on edge, the world is very weird, the news is like something out of 1984 meets Idiocracy, and every day it seems there's some new disaster on the horizon. ("Ireland is going to destroy the world economy! No - wait - it's Greece! I mean Italy! I mean Comet Niburu is going to smash into Hoboken, NJ and destroy the entire east coast! Wait - it didn't! I guess I meant NEXT year! Are you enjoying Fukushima radiation with your sushi? The water is being poisoned by Illuminati poodles!")

No wonder people are getting weird. But, this is performance art. How we react to reactions shapes future reactions.

Let's face it, Pro Tools sucks. ALL DAWs suck. No wait! I mean, they're all great!

Who cares? A real musician can make music with two spoons, and if that isn't behind the technological curve, I don't know what is. Or maybe it isn't: It works with any interface, doesn't need to be backed up, is non-volatile, and has an infinitely high sample rate.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. The problems crop up when people think others have the same eyes.

• Members

I'm not trolling or anything, but I'll chime in a bit.

I tried downloading a ProTools demo when it first came out, and it wouldn't even start up. As time progressed, I found I couldn't live without plugin latency compensation, and could live quite comfortably without having a musical stake in PT.

I'll stay with Reaper, and force myself to live with it's free frequent upgrades, unlimited track counts, and ability to use VST and DX plugs...

Archived