man arrested at hadron collider claims he's from the future

techristian

• Members

I would have thought it was the other way round

Well we're all travelling into the future right now. I don't mean that in the trite way it sounds. We're travelling through 4-dimensions (spacetime) with a velocity equal to the speed of light. If we could slow down our movement through space we'd travel forward through time more quickly, and if we could speed up our movement through space we'd travel through time more slowly.

None of this helps us acheive situations as per 12 Monkeys or Back to the Future though. Shame - I'd love to be able to go back and record all the Beatles songs before they did :)

• Members

Well we're all travelling into the future right now. I don't mean that in the trite way it sounds. We're travelling through 4-dimensions (spacetime) with a velocity equal to the speed of light. If we could slow down our movement through space we'd travel forward through time more quickly, and if we could speed up our movement through space we'd travel through time more slowly.

Now I`m really confused... :confused:

• Members

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the
led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

I imagine that Kit-Kat intake must be mandatory.

I do rather like tweed and bow ties though...

• Members

Now I`m really confused...
:confused:

It's simple. When you're sitting around not doing anything, and you're bored, time drags. On the other hand, time flies when you're having fun :p

Also, the more you move, the more your time slows down relative to the time of those who are not moving. That's why active people live longer than couch potatoes. :eek:

I think the discrepancy of temporal synchronicity caused by movement had something to do with the old mechanical clocks in cars commonly breaking. Digital clocks seem to have overcome the problem, perhaps because their internal clocking circuit runs very fast. :wave:

• Members

None of this helps us acheive situations as per 12 Monkeys or Back to the Future though. Shame - I'd love to be able to go back and record all the Beatles songs before they did
:)

This is true, and we can can speed up the usual 1sec/sec forward travel through time by using relativity.

• Members

Not sure what the facility is called Ernest, but I understand the therapist assigned to him is called Dr. Kathryn Railly (
who, btw, looks remarkably similar to the actress Madeleine Stowe
). Hope this helps.

So you just got my attention. What's the address of this lovely doctor again? :D

Archived